We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dublin Hotel Debacle 😉

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
28 posts
32 reviews
Dublin Hotel Debacle 😉

Hi all,

We’re ending our 2 week trip in Dublin and will be coming from Kinsale. We plan on exploring Powerscourt and possibly the Jameson Distillery on our way up. Our plan was to stay at an airport hotel and return the car and car seats (for our young daughters) early the next am. From there, we would head into Dublin for the day and fly home the next morning.

My question is, does this sound like a good plan? I’ve got the whole trip planned to a T and for some reason this part is stressing me out. I am worried about not having car seats in the taxi and would prefer and shuttle into the city, but I don’t know if that’s possible. Also I don’t want to spend a ton on the hotel because we really don’t plan on being there at all.

Thanks for reading my novel 😊

Best Seller
Cliffs of Moher Tour Including Wild...
1,271 Reviews
from US$ 52.60*
Best Seller
Northern Ireland Highlights Day Trip...
1,058 Reviews
from US$ 75.90*
Best Seller
Aran Islands and Cliffs of Moher Day...
487 Reviews
from US$ 46.70*
6 replies to this topic
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
4,422 posts
31 reviews
1. Re: Dublin Hotel Debacle 😉

Take the bus.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
4,988 posts
205 reviews
2. Re: Dublin Hotel Debacle 😉

Drop the car back, use airport transport to get into the city. Stay in the city. Get the aircoach back to the airport the next morning.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
85 reviews
3. Re: Dublin Hotel Debacle 😉

Hi - we bought back-packs for our kids that doubled up as car seats. They have saved us a small fortune on hiring car seats from car rental firms

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
428 posts
147 reviews
4. Re: Dublin Hotel Debacle 😉

Find a hotel on the edge of town with parking. Park the car and take public transport within the city. When you are departing, return the car before your flight. You will have car seats the entire time. The rental car return has a free shuttle to the airport.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
10,715 posts
226 reviews
5. Re: Dublin Hotel Debacle 😉

I think your original plan is good.

Drop the car back. Take the car rental shuttle from the carpark to the terminal building - from there take the Airlink or Aircoach bus into town.

See if The Central Hotel has a family room available for your date - great location.

If you decide to go with an airport hotel I like the location of The Holiday Inn Express in Northwood just down from the airport. If you went with that option, you could drive to the hotel drop children bags and 1 adult there. Then the other one of you could drop the car back to the rental company, carhire shuttle to airport and take the hotel shuttle back to the hotel. There is a regular bus service from the main road near the hotel into the city. The children might get a kick out of sitting upstairs at the front of the double decker bus.

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
28 posts
32 reviews
6. Re: Dublin Hotel Debacle 😉

Thank you! This sounds perfect!

Reply to: Dublin Hotel Debacle 😉
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted