We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prettiest Irish towns?

middle of Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
Prettiest Irish towns?

Just starting out planning our June trip and I am researching everywhere including all your opinions to plan our trip.

Plan is to go Dublin -south coastish- west- then north to Mayo-cross country to Dublin.

We would be interested in wandering the streets of lovely cities, towns and villiages on our way and am curious what you all think the prettiest are. I know pretty is very subjective but all opinions are welcome.

My idea of pretty if it helps...

Narrow streets with interesting historical architecture. Charming churches and colourful shop fronts. Thatched roofs would just make everything fairytalish for me.

KIlkenny I have heard is a pretty walk about because of the medieval architecture.

Thanks for your opinions

Best Seller
Cliffs of Moher Tour Including Wild...
1,273 Reviews
from US$ 52.70*
Best Seller
Northern Ireland Highlights Day Trip...
1,059 Reviews
from US$ 76.20*
Best Seller
Aran Islands and Cliffs of Moher Day...
491 Reviews
from US$ 46.90*
New Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,872 posts
34 reviews
1. Re: Prettiest Irish towns?

Here's a fairytale town, and it may fit in your itinerary:

angelfire.com/ok2/…AdareVillage.html

County Tipperary...
Level Contributor
6,717 posts
1 review
2. Re: Prettiest Irish towns?

Yes, Kilkenny would fill the bill, look out for the castle and the castle yard craft workshops, the main street through Kilkenny - High St- has the Tholsel, Rothe House (medieval merchants house) and in the parallel Kierans Street is Kytlers Inn, not to mention all the little alleyways or 'slips' off the high street. Also look at the Black Abbey. Lots of places to wander - no thatched roofs though.

If you get further down the country look at Stradbally in County Waterford, pretty seaside village, Lismore also in Waterford is very pretty, ask there for directions to The Towers (a folly at the top of an uphill woodland walk, very pretty), also Swiss Cottage in County Tipperary. Also of course the Rock of Cashel and Cahir Castle are well worth a visit. Neither of them are 'pretty' exactly, more dramatic, fascinating, ancient.

Humptulips...
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
1 review
3. Re: Prettiest Irish towns?

Good ideas so far. For that small lane feel, a part of Galway City is nice. It lacks the small lane feel that you want, but I have to throw in Westport.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,872 posts
34 reviews
4. Re: Prettiest Irish towns?

"South coastish".... Dunmore East might be what you are looking for...

Haven't been but everyone talks about it.

http://www.waterford-dunmore.com/

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
9,516 posts
63 reviews
5. Re: Prettiest Irish towns?

Carlingford in the Cooley peninsula north of Dublin (www.carlingford.ie/). Absolutely charming little town.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
16,478 posts
27 reviews
6. Re: Prettiest Irish towns?

wow, that's a great question....

thatched roofs all brings adare to mind.....to me killaloe/ballina is one of the most beautiful of places....the quaintest villages i have been in was inchigeelagh (county cork) where i spent over an hour visiting with mr & mrs john o'sullivan over the counter of their wee store as i had seen an article in ireland of the welcomes that made me want to go there.....and churchtown (county munster) where actor oliver reed is buried in their teeny brukenny cemetary....

just a few thoughts....

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
9,516 posts
63 reviews
7. Re: Prettiest Irish towns?

Kilmore Quay in Co. Wexford is also very pretty, lots of thatched cottages (not ALL of them old).

North Platte...
Level Contributor
366 posts
71 reviews
8. Re: Prettiest Irish towns?

OMA14,

There you go again giving away our best kept secret of Inchigeelagh village! Did you see the new Inchigeelagh.net website?

SandBilly

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
16,478 posts
27 reviews
9. Re: Prettiest Irish towns?

oh sandbilly i did now...oh i want to be back there so badly....thank you for sharing it....

10. Re: Prettiest Irish towns?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2009, 23:50