We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ediburgh to Fort William / Drive or Train / Difficulty of th

Harrisville, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Ediburgh to Fort William / Drive or Train / Difficulty of th

My wife and I are planning two weeks in Scotland this July. After three days in Edinburgh, we'll make the journey to Skye, then head on to Inverness. We're getting competing advice re: driving for the flexibiilty of stopping along the way where and when we want, or taking the West Highland Line for the convenience and the views. Considerations: I'm the driver, 59 but still (reasonably) sharp, but have never driven on the left side. I don't want to wear my self out focusing on new driving conditions. Is it difficult to make the transition... left side, road markings, etc.?

Also... any recent experience renting cars from Skye Car Hire and Taxi (Kyle) or HM Car Hire (Armadale & Broadford)? Thanks!

London
Level Contributor
10,073 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ediburgh to Fort William / Drive or Train / Difficulty of th

You've hit the nail on the head. The train has wonderful views and conveniece. A hire car gives you flexibility. Six of one - half a dozen of the other.

Driving on the left will become second nature quicker than you think. Note that UK rental cars are manual transmission - if you want automatic you need to specifically reserve this. If you've never driving on the "correct" side of the road before, I urge you to rent an automatic. Trying to grab the gearstick with the "wrong" hand is actually harder for the brain to deal with than driving on the other side.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ediburgh to Fort William / Drive or Train / Difficulty of th

As a LH car driver roughly the same age, I've driven on the right in Europe. I can remember having to think hard for the first hour or so, then it became fairly natural. Just think twice turning out of junctions or at roundabouts. I've also driven makes of car where gears and handbrake are not where expected. Yes the change can be a pain, but not so much of a pain as to be a nuisance. You'll get used to it quite quickly, I think.

If you want maximum ease, maximum enjoyment from looking at the scenery, you can get the train to Mallaig, the ferry to Armadale, as I assume you plan, and there is another equally spectacular train line from Kyle of Lochalsh to Inverness. I guess you know all that. In the circumstances, that's probably how I'd do it.

Buses on Syke do exist but they're less frequent than you would hope for, so I would recommend a car when on the island; or you work out your bus transport with military precision. The only issue by car would be making sure you can pick up and drop at the correct locations.

This document may help regarding Skye buses:

stagecoachbus.com/PdfUploads/…204.pdf

Harrisville, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ediburgh to Fort William / Drive or Train / Difficulty of th

Thanks! Encouraging re: adapting to the "correct" side!

Harrisville, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ediburgh to Fort William / Drive or Train / Difficulty of th

Thanks for both of the replies, rcpeirs and Derek.

5. Re: Ediburgh to Fort William / Drive or Train / Difficulty of th

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 05:46
Get answers to your questions about Fort William