We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Year in Aviemore 2011/12

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Topic
New Year in Aviemore 2011/12

Hi, my partner and I are staying in Aviemore over new year. We often visit for snowsports in Feb/March but haven't spent a new year here before. We are both 25 and were wondering what's the best way to see the new year in?

We don't want to spend a fortune but I also don't want to miss out by leaving it too late having not booked anything. Will most places require booking even if we just want a drink?

Thanks Lynne,

Northumberland.

Loch an Eilein
Nature & Wildlife Areas, Bodies of Water
Rothiemurchus
Forests, Nature & Wildlife Areas
South Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,545 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Year in Aviemore 2011/12

Lynne 1986

Have you read the topic started earlier in the year, it may give some answers to your query. have a look at: tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186537-i1851-k4…

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: New Year in Aviemore 2011/12

Thanks, I had already looked at this post and have contacted the old bridge inn to see what menu they've got on and im waiting for an email as we have enjoyed a few meals here in the past.

I had considered Grantown but think it may be too expensive to get a taxi to and from. I have also looked into the hotels for the dinner/fireworks option but they seem a bit pricey, however i can only assume that it's worth the money!? Is there any particular venue you could recommend? Thanks

northumberland
Level Contributor
1,569 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Year in Aviemore 2011/12

Hi Lynne

Im from near Newcastle and coming up with two kids (14 & 12)- and looking for the same as you- places i have been quoted so far are far too expensive, but am still hopefull of finding somewhere!- will keep you advised if i hear of something!

where you staying?

cheers

ian

Elie, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,493 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Year in Aviemore 2011/12

Grantown has an excellent street party and an AMAZING firework display which people seem to come from all over to attend. There is live music in the Square, stalls selling food and drink and the chance to join in the World Record attempt for "Strip the Willow" a Scottish country dance which takes place up and down the main street. I think there were about 5,000 people last year at the party - given that the population of Grantown is only about 2,700 thats some influx of visitors.Aviemore will have a great atmosphere too so there should be something on for you even if you can't manage to travel to Grantown. Taxis are expensive on Hogmanay!

This may already be booked but worth a look....

http://www.grantarmshotel.com/packages.php

Regards

Woody x

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: New Year in Aviemore 2011/12

Thanks Ian and Woody,

We're staying at a b&b in Aviemore. Will keep looking, will also let you know if i find anything Ian.

scotland
Level Contributor
246 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Year in Aviemore 2011/12

Have you tried the McKenzies with kids? As i said previous post we do the Cairngorn Hotel but not the party night we just go in for a drink 6/7 ish & thats us for the night ..... im sure you will n'joy whateva you do :-)

northumberland
Level Contributor
1,569 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Year in Aviemore 2011/12

Thanks- have e mailed McKenzies to see if they let non staying guests with kids in!

northumberland
Level Contributor
1,569 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Year in Aviemore 2011/12

Just an update to say how we got on!

we had a good night in the bar at the taverna, arriving after 9pm and were happy to stay there as it was pouring with Rain outside- and appeared to be ubntill the bells at least!

Didnt venture into the village for the fireworks because of the weather, and still had a good night- not sure if the fireworks were affected due to the weather because when i looked at my watch it was twenty minutes past midnight and they would have finished by now if they were on!

Had a good night!

9. Re: New Year in Aviemore 2011/12

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 10:11
Get answers to your questions about Aviemore