We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

new years day in glasgow ,whats open ?

Scotland, Texas
Level Contributor
63 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
new years day in glasgow ,whats open ?

hi all,might be a bad move but we are going to glasgow for 3 days arriving jan 1st. will there be anything open ,things to do on the 1st.cheers

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
382 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: new years day in glasgow ,whats open ?

The retail trade relies on customers. So, as such, it should operate to accommodate them. If that involves opening on 1st January, then so be it. Just as GPs should operate outwith the usual 9-5. They dont like it either, but tough. They are there to serve us, not the other way round.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,727 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: new years day in glasgow ,whats open ?

If you have an emergency, then you can go to A&E at a hospital. You don't always call your GP.

If you urgently need some Irn Bru on Jan 1, then you will no doubt find a shop to sell you some.

But browsing furniture shops is not an emergency. It can wait another day, and give these underpaid people a day off with their families..

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
382 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: new years day in glasgow ,whats open ?

Who mentioned emergencies? IF I want my blood pressure checked or have my ears syringed, I have to work to GP hours. That's wrong. And the SNP are dead right to ask for it to be changed.

As for retail, if you dont want to work on New Years's day, dont take the job.

Otherwise, may I have time off my work for every Scotland away game and Tartan Week in NYC each year? After all, I like that!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,727 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: new years day in glasgow ,whats open ?

But if you worked in retail, and had never worked on January 1st, why should you suddenly tear yourself away from loved ones, just because a couple of people cant find anything to do?

Its not as if January 1st has always been a normal shopping day, which is what the question was about.

"things to do"? Plenty. but why do shops have to be open?

anyway - some people see these days as special;others cant see why all services shouldn;t work as normal. whatever.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
382 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: new years day in glasgow ,whats open ?

Times change. Its not that long ago there was an outcry about Sunday opening, and more recently about Sunday flights to certain Scottish islands.

Its only my opinion, but a day is a day. Does the police, air traffic controllers, etc., moan about having to work on Jan 1st? Perhaps, but they get on with it.

As I say, if you dont like it, leave it.

26. Re: new years day in glasgow ,whats open ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2009, 06:48