We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SIM card for Scotland and Ireland

Vadodara, India
Level Contributor
27 posts
43 reviews
SIM card for Scotland and Ireland

Hi, my husband and I are travelling to Scotland and Ireland in 3 weeks, we plan to be in Scotland 10 days and then Ireland for 5 days, what sim card could I use in both countries with free roaming? Also, we are visiting isle of islay and isle of mull, so what telecom company will have good coverage there? And also, can the sim be bought at the airport?

4 replies to this topic
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
4,048 posts
1. Re: SIM card for Scotland and Ireland

Any SIM bought in Scotland or Ireland will work with no roaming charges.

Don’t buy at the airport.

No company guarantees universal coverage so there may be areas where your phone doesn’t work.

There are hundreds of threads about SIMs on here have a look at some of the recent ones

Front Royal...
Level Contributor
120 posts
53 reviews
2. Re: SIM card for Scotland and Ireland

FYI, Did western Scotland and Islay, and then Ireland and Northern Ireland on a 3 Prepaid Sim.

I chose them due to the coverage maps, and where I was traveling to.

Some companies are stronger in some areas.

https://opensignal.com/networks/uk/3-coverage

You can select other carriers that way and figure out who has the coverage which would be suitable for your travels.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
4,048 posts
3. Re: SIM card for Scotland and Ireland

I wouldn’t put too much store by the information contained on that website.

“3 is one of the 8 major networks we have identified operating in UK”

There are only 4 true network providers in the UK. Other operaters known as MVNOs piggy back on one of the four to provide services.

Vadodara, India
Level Contributor
27 posts
43 reviews
4. Re: SIM card for Scotland and Ireland

Thanks a lot! As per your replies and what I've found on other forums, 3 does make the most sense.. thanks again..

Reply to: SIM card for Scotland and Ireland
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted