We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best scotland tours from glasgow to highlands

Level Contributor
27 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Best scotland tours from glasgow to highlands

Hi

We 2 adults 2 cildren going to glasgow for 2 nights. Will be staying at g4 postcode of glasgow n will reach there in afternoon.

What should be seen on day 1. As coming from manchester n with children would be tired so wanna see nearby attractions.

Will be interested in seeing falkirk wheel which is 35 min drive from our hotel so will drive n will go there on day 3.

For day 2 as we are not fond of driving would be thinking to get a group tour for any loch and any nearby scottish highland . Now which are the best places to see as just want a day trip from glasgow? There are many group tours being offered but not sure which one to take. Wanna see lake n also any highland as scotland is famous for it. One is timberbrush and another is discover scotland two companies .

I am thinking to choose loch ness, glencoe and highlands (which is inverness) day tour . Both of the companies offer this.

6 replies to this topic
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3,573 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best scotland tours from glasgow to highlands

How old are your children.

Do not attempt a day tour to Loch Ness from Glasgow, too far.

The HoHo bus in Glasgow is a good introduction to the city.

Don’t rely on timings from sites such as Google Maps for driving.

Mentioned in this post
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
13,085 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best scotland tours from glasgow to highlands

Glasgow G4 postcode is Townhead, so yes, quick access to M8 > M80 for Falkirk Wheel in around 30-40 mins.

As said do not go to to Inverness (Loch Ness) on a tour! 8 hours out of 12 on a Bus, the Kids will not thank you for it! Shades of “are we there yet” spring to mind!!!

You could you save money and just drive down to Loch Lomond in around 50 mins and have access to a Loch and Highland Scenery at a fraction of the cost of a Tour!

Mentioned in this post
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Falkirk Wheel
Falkirk Wheel
4,563 Reviews
Falkirk, UK
Inverness
Inverness
Scottish Highlands, UK
Loch Ness
Loch Ness
1,373 Reviews
Loch Ness, UK
Loch Lomond
Loch Lomond
415 Reviews
Stirling, UK
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
445 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Best scotland tours from glasgow to highlands

I agree with post 2. I was recently in Glasgow for the day and after visiting Kelvingrove Park, which was great, I drove with my two children to Balloch. Parking is easy and free in Balloch. I popped into the tourist information centre and the ladies in there were very helpful. We had a great time walking round Balloch Castle Country Park, which included walking along the shore of Loch Lomond with stunning views of the hills/mountains (excuse my ignorance) in the background. There are also several play parks. There are also boat trips from Balloch onto the Loch. A great day out and only 40 or so minutes from Glasgow. You could get the train there too.

Edited: 07 August 2018, 03:37
Mentioned in this post
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Kelvingrove Park
Kelvingrove Park
960 Reviews
Glasgow, UK
Balloch
Balloch
West Dunbartonshire, UK
Balloch Castle Country Park
Balloch Castle Country...
346 Reviews
Balloch, UK
Loch Lomond
Loch Lomond
415 Reviews
Stirling, UK
Level Contributor
27 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best scotland tours from glasgow to highlands

Thanks a lot. Now want to ask how is loch lomond driving route from glasgow? Is it wavy with sharp changes in directions?

Want to see a waterfall there n boat trip n lake shore. As its a v vast park so cant find out how to explore these things n what is the postcode.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3,573 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best scotland tours from glasgow to highlands

Loch Lomond is the largest inland stretch of water in Britain so it covers quite an area.

The south west end is just over half an hours easy drive from Glasgow

You can see details of various cruises offered on Tripadvisor or by searching online.

Mentioned in this post
Loch Lomond
Loch Lomond
415 Reviews
Stirling, UK
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
4,934 posts
520 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best scotland tours from glasgow to highlands

Balloch Park makes a for a lovely family visit.

You could also drive another 20 mins or so up to Tarbert and do one of the short boat tours of the loch, some of which take you over to Inversnaid for lunch or a picnic.Beautiful impressive waterfall there too and the most rugged mountainous section of the loch.Short walks to do there too.

Roads are fast to Loch Lomond from Glasgow...partly motorway.

Mentioned in this post
Balloch
Balloch
West Dunbartonshire, UK
Tarbert
Tarbert
Kintyre Peninsula, UK
Loch Lomond
Loch Lomond
415 Reviews
Stirling, UK
Glasgow