We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how long does it take to get through customs?

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1 post
98 reviews
how long does it take to get through customs?

I need to know how long it takes to get through customs from a flight from the US. not how to get to a train, or a cab, ETC like in the last question of this topic posted. no one ever answered his question.

5 replies to this topic
Wiltshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
11,996 posts
449 reviews
1. Re: how long does it take to get through customs?

Customs- a split second, they rarely check you as they know what they are looking for.

Immigration will take a little longer, allow 30 -45 minutes from landing.in Glasgow

NB In U.K. immigration and customs are separate processes.

Edited: 07 August 2018, 02:43
Greater Manchester...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
12,331 posts
54 reviews
2. Re: how long does it take to get through customs?

Things are different for Customs, when compared to USA.

In UK - Customs takes about 5 seconds for 99.9% of people; they just walk past or through it (probably not noticing it's there).

Here in UK, Customs is intelligence led; they will only stop you if they suspect something isn't right; or if you the passenger wishes to declare to UK Customs that you possess something abnormal.

Perhaps you should, instead be asking how long de-planeing & "immigration" takes; that comes before hold luggage collect and the walkpast of Customs.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
5,928 posts
68 reviews
3. Re: how long does it take to get through customs?

You just walk through Customs in a matter of minutes

I think you meant to ask “ how long do I have to stand in line to get through immigration?”

Well that depends on how many flights arrive at the same time as yours

But at a guess ,and that’s all it is , 30 minutes

Could be more could be less

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
13,758 posts
14 reviews
4. Re: how long does it take to get through customs?

As said it’s Immigration not Customs, unless you are planning to smuggle anything illegal?

Let me tell you about a flight I took a few years back from NYC!

On the Plane an elderly American couple asked me to help them with the Card they had to fill in on the plane on approach.

30 mins later after Baggage Reclaim I was able to point that same couple to the Taxi Rank on exiting the Terminal!

Basically it can take as little as 30 mins from stepping off the Plane to exiting the Terminal!

As said it depends how many International Flights arrive at the one time, but I would be astounded if you are anymore than 45 mins to exit the Terminal from Airbridge!

Crosslee, United...
Level Contributor
421 posts
36 reviews
5. Re: how long does it take to get through customs?

Liz, how important is it to you? The time to pass immigration, customs and baggage reclaim varies minute by minute at any airport in the world.

Time of day, number of arriving flights and holiday periods will all make a difference to your transit time.

Since you exclude cabs, trains etc I can only assume you want to tell someone when to pick you up.

We use a system where we phone our driver ( who is waiting just outside the airport area) once we have completed all the formalities. 5 mins, at most, we are in the car.

Reply to: how long does it take to get through customs?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Glasgow