We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glasgow Trip Report

Santa Monica...
Level Contributor
54 posts
10 reviews
Glasgow Trip Report

Here is my trip report for the days we were in Glasgow. I'm also posting for Edinburgh and Skye. We had a great time and thank you for everyone who helped with suggestions. We loved Scotland!!!

Glasgow

Day 1: Stayed at Argyll Western in the West End-charming, good service, good breakfast-recommend.

Late lunch at Hanoi Bike Shop, good Pho, good service, super cute place-recommend.

Walked to the University to see the Cloisters which are beautiful-recommend.

Laid down on the lawn in front of the cloisters because I was exhausted from jet-lag-highly recommend.

Day 2: Breakfast at Matilda’s on Byers Road, down from Oran Mor. Really good food-breakfast and service-highly recommend.

Glasgow Botanical Gardens-beautiful-highly recommend

Took Subway to Buchannon Street and walked to the Necropolis and the Cathedral. I thought both were okay. My 18 year old niece and mom loved the necropolis and Cathedral.

Kelvingrove Museum-Rennie Mackintosh Exhibit was great-highly recommend

Roots Fruits and Flowers for a snack-cute little grocery store and then

Mother India for dinner-delicious, amazing service and food. My mom, niece and I love Indian food and eat it frequently in various places in Southern California. We all agreed that this was the best Indian food we ever experienced.-highly recommend (make a reservation-it was packed on a Tuesday night at 7:00)

Day 3-ate at Matilida’s and walked though the Botanical Gardens again. Loved both!

Took subway to Buchannon Street and walked around. Loved it.

Got a donut at Tantrum Donuts-niece highly recommends

Walked to the People’s Palace, very interesting exhibits on the history of Glasgow. -recommend.

Took subway to have tea and lunch at Tchai-Ovna House of Tea. My niece and I agreed that we both had the best tea here. I ordered a pot of traditional Indian Chai. It was by far the BEST chai tea i’ve ever had. The flavors were so spot on. She had an Oolong which she also loved. We ate lunch too. It was pretty good food for a college-type of hang out spot. My mom was not into it. It’s a bit dirty but the guys working there were really sweet and the food tasted fresh and yum! (plus we scored a seat outside)-recommend.

Saw the Mackintosh house at the Hunterian Art Gallery-loved it.

Went to Oran Mor for drinks and to watch semi-finals of World Cup. All of us loved the atmosphere, both inside and out and I wish there was a place like this here in Santa Monica.-highly recommend.

5 replies to this topic
Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
5,129 posts
530 reviews
1. Re: Glasgow Trip Report

The Cloisters are really beautiful, aren't they? Glad you enjoyed the Mackintosh exhibition too and Glasgow overall.

I love Santa Monica:)

Santa Monica...
Level Contributor
54 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: Glasgow Trip Report

ScotlandMac..your advice was really helpful!

So glad you like Santa Monica!!! I love it too.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
15,061 posts
324 reviews
3. Re: Glasgow Trip Report

Terrific inights for future visitors and I know what you mean about Tchai Ovna but it's a bit of an iconic spot for students past and present.

Thank you so much for sharing! 😊

Edited: 16 August 2018, 16:07
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,152 posts
248 reviews
4. Re: Glasgow Trip Report

Also a big fan of Tchai-Ovna.

Really good Vegan food and great beverages - the surroundings definitely won't be everyone's 'cup of tea' though.

See what I did there? :D

Santa Monica...
Level Contributor
54 posts
10 reviews
5. Re: Glasgow Trip Report

StuGla1, I did see what you did, clever you are. lol

Reply to: Glasgow Trip Report
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Glasgow