We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips on using Canadian cell phone

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
243 reviews
Tips on using Canadian cell phone

I will be visiting Scotland at the end of August and am seeking tips for using my phone cheaply. I’ve travelled before, kept the phone on airplane mode, activated wifi and managed that way. Is it worthwhile getting a plan to use in Scotland? Thanks in advance for your input!

3 replies to this topic
Wiltshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
11,377 posts
441 reviews
1. Re: Tips on using Canadian cell phone

A U.K. SIM is easy to get, but your phone must be unlocked? There a variety of networks and a multiplicity of vendors. A large chain selling deals across most of the networks is www.carphonewarehouse.com (store locator on site).

If not unlocked then if you want to rely on WiFi that’s fine. I have just done the opposite journey, in USA and Canada with the phone only using WiFi but knowing it would work - at a price- if there was an emergency.

You might want to note that you can download maps and then GPS will work without a data connection.

2. Re: Tips on using Canadian cell phone

I have a roam like home plan . 10$ a day capped @ 10 days to use my phone in the uk and continent

Edited: 03 August 2018, 11:04
Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
243 reviews
3. Re: Tips on using Canadian cell phone

Thanks for the suggestions!

Reply to: Tips on using Canadian cell phone
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted