We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A day at Edinburgh beach.

Glasgow, United...
6 posts
Save Topic
A day at Edinburgh beach.

Hello,

I'm in Glasgow for 3 days and I would really love to spend a day at a nice beach in Edinburgh.

I 've gone to Edinburgh city center with a Citylink 900 bus, but I don't know if they reach any of the beaches.

Any ideas, how to get fast and cheap to a lovely Edinburgh beach for a bit of a swim from Elderslie/Sauchiehall str.?

Thanks

11 replies to this topic
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
4,048 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: A day at Edinburgh beach.

Portobello would be the place to head for.

https:/…portobello-beach-p730811

London, United...
Level Contributor
33,417 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A day at Edinburgh beach.

Ayrshire beaches are only 30 miles away by fast train and roads - Ayr, Troon, Prestwick, Irvine. Long and sandy with views to Arran and Ailsa Craig.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
517 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A day at Edinburgh beach.

Are you here just now? Not exactly beach weather. Does it have to be in the Edinburgh area? Plenty of other beaches around Scotland that would take the same amount of time to get to from Glasgow.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
4,048 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: A day at Edinburgh beach.

The weather in the east is meant to be better for the next few days

Cumbernauld
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A day at Edinburgh beach.

Beaches at North Berwick are better than Portobello imho. Think the fringe by the sea is possibly on at North Berwick this week too.

Edited: 02 August 2018, 19:28
Glasgow, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: A day at Edinburgh beach.

Thank you, all.

I was thinking Portobello, but I've seriously no idea how to get there.

I love Ayrshire, but that means hiring a car and I was rather hoping to plop myself down on a bus an do a bit of work on the way there.

Unfortunately for me I'm used to getting everywhere with the car and I don't know the first thing about public trasport.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,817 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: A day at Edinburgh beach.

www.lothianbuses.com will tell you how to get to Portobello

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,055 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A day at Edinburgh beach.

Train from Glasgow queen street to Edinburgh Waverley, then exit onto Princes Stret, cross the road and head to the corner of Jenners store and pick up a no.26 bus to Porty. It's £1.70 single on the bus and you need the correct change. The bus stops on Porty high street, take any of the streets off the high street down to the beach.

Glasgow, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: A day at Edinburgh beach.

Thanks, I'll go tomorrow. Hopefully the weather will be nice for a stroll.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Oban
Level Contributor
3,264 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A day at Edinburgh beach.

Ayrshire does not mean hiring a car. You can get the train to Irvine, Troon and Ayr.

You could also get to North Berwick for about the same time it will take you to get to Portobello - just change trains at Edinburgh Waverley.

Reply to: A day at Edinburgh beach.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted