We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Playing Old Course - but then which 2nd course?

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Playing Old Course - but then which 2nd course?

Dear fellow travel enthousiasts,

I will be on a golf trip nzt year May in Scotland (never too early to start planning :-) ). Now, I will enter the advance ballot and the deal means that besides playing the Old Course, one also needs to play another St andrews Course (Jubilee, New, Castle, ...). Which one would you recommend and why?

I would have preferred only playing Old course, since playing two courses throws over my travel schedule. But hey, one cannot cannot try to win the ballot ;-)

Thanks, all advice is appreciated!

E.

5 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
642 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Playing Old Course - but then which 2nd course?

Firstly check busy dates, the Old course is closed the second week in May. I’d choose the New, Castle, Eden, Jubilee in that order.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
1,479 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Playing Old Course - but then which 2nd course?

I just lost out on the ballot and plan to play the New tomorrow. Even that, though, has gotten tricky and it looks like I'll have to go over early to secure a time. You're supposed to be able to get a time online, but I'm having a problem. Get on it early!

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
1,896 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Playing Old Course - but then which 2nd course?

if you really don't want to play a second course then don't. You could book the Strathtyrum course which is £30. I know it's money wasted but if you're paying a lot of money to play the Old course then it's just part of the cost.

If you do want to play another course, everyone will have a different preference. The New tends to be the most popular but the Jubilee is probably more tricky. The Eden is still a challenge though not such a high profile course for Old course visitors, and the Castle is a different style of course all together. Great views from the Castle.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
1,479 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Playing Old Course - but then which 2nd course?

Just did play the New by default and thoroughly. The Jubilee was closed for a tournament and we did have to get up early to get a tee time. If you do get on, I would suggest the Castle for your second. The New is virtually indistinguishable from the Old, except for a couple of iconic holes, e.g. The Road Hole, and Swilcan bridge. The Castle looked much different and very nice from the road to Kingsbarns.

United States
Level Contributor
53 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Playing Old Course - but then which 2nd course?

I like the New and the Castle. I'd go with the Castle because of the great views!

Reply to: Playing Old Course - but then which 2nd course?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted