We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please give me a reality check on our possible itinerary?

Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Topic
Please give me a reality check on our possible itinerary?

Hello,

We are in the process of planing our trip for June of 2013. We will fly into London, spend 3-4 days there then take the train to Edinburgh. We will plan on 6 days in Scotland.

We know for certain that we plan to spend some time in Edinburgh and St. Andrews. Then we plan to rent a car and head to Oban. We're thinking that we could then possibly visit Mull, Iona, Glen Coe and Perth.

We don't want to move hotel frequently, so we are planning to split our time between a hotel in Edinburgh and one in Oban.

I have read that Skye is "not to miss", but I just fear that we would be spending a lot of hours driving and moving hotels if we tried to get to Skye, am I wrong? Will we get a good taste/view of Scotland by targeting the areas that I mention above? Are we crazy to target Mull and Iona vs. Skye?

Thank you for your comments and suggestions!

Elaine

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,702 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please give me a reality check on our possible itinerary?

You don't really need a car until the second part. You can do Edinburgh Waverley - Glasgow Queen Street - Glasgow Queen Street - Oban by train. Ferry to Tobermory bus to Fionnphort - ferry to Iona. Its joined up transport in that you get the train from Glasgow in time for the ferry, the bus meets the ferry the bus takes you across the island for the ferry.

If you think you would prefer to drive to Oban do a search for West Highland Line and Great Railway Journeys of the World. Shame to miss that.

Perhaps stay the night on Iona, anything less is a rush. all these island move on "island time". Perhaps stay a night first at Tobermory. However if I was only staying one night on Mull or Iona I'd select Iona.

I think I should say that these distances look very short but the roads are small and twisty and a journey will take you much longer that you think it will.

Edited: 04 May 2012, 22:28
East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,753 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please give me a reality check on our possible itinerary?

I wouldn't bother visiting Perth unless you have a special reason. There is nothing wrong with Perth, but its not one of the places I would recommend to stop if you have others to choose from.

The Royal Highland Show is being held 20th to 23rd June 2013 at Ingliston, Edinburgh so you may want to work a visit there into your itinerary

http://royalhighlandshow.org/the-show/

Woody x

Edited: 05 May 2012, 02:36
Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please give me a reality check on our possible itinerary?

The route back from Glencoe could take you through Stirling, which definitely is a place worth stopping at. Callander. Doune. Stirling Castle. Wallace monument. Robert the Bruce. A minor skirmish called Bannockburn.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Please give me a reality check on our possible itinerary?

Are we crazy to target Mull and Iona vs. Skye?

No definitely not. Stick to your original plan with two bases in Edinburgh and Oban. You will see plenty of dramatic scenery as well as achieveing your target of getting a 'good taste/view of Scotland Skye is on everyone's tick list but Mull and Iona will be just as good (if not better).

Like Woody I wouldn't bother with Perth unless there is a compelling reason to go there.

Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Please give me a reality check on our possible itinerary?

Hello!

Thank you all so much! I was hoping that this plan would work. No reason for Perth, so thanks for that tip! I have heard that Stirling Castle would be nice to see, so I think I'll put that on the list.

Can we get to and from Iona and/or Mull from our base in Oban easily enough? is there a reason that we we need to stay overnight on one of the islands instead of our base in Oban?

Elaine

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,955 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please give me a reality check on our possible itinerary?

Elaine - you need to look at the ferry timetables, as well as the bus, if you are not taking a car. Even if you did have a car, you would still need ferries to/from Mull and Iona.

Planning to explore these islands and get back to Oban at the end of the day would tax many people, and, to some, would defeat the purpose of visiting them.

It is likely that it can all be done in one day. There are probably tours on Mull to do just that. But it's a long way to go and not stop.

See www.calmac.co.uk for timetables.

Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Please give me a reality check on our possible itinerary?

Hello,

We will have a car, but did realize that we needed to take a ferry over to Mull/ Iona. We weren't planning to see both Mull and Iona on the same day, we were thinking of 1 day for each. Is it not realistic to spend a day on Mull, go back to Oban at night, then spend the next day on Iona, go back to Oban at night? We are just trying to elimate hoping hotels from night to night.

Thanks!

Elaine

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,753 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please give me a reality check on our possible itinerary?

I am no expert on Mull - have been there only once, but I would recommend you take the ferry and stay overnight on Mull and take the day to visit Iona. The drive from the Craignure ferry to Fionnphort where a ferry does the short crossing to Iona takes quite a long time (+ 1 hour) and you will be finding yourselves stopping to take photos. The single track roads make it difficult to get up any speed as you are always stopping and starting to allow oncoming traffic to pass or for you to pass oncoming traffic. We went to Mull for a whole week and never even got to Tobermory so that should tell you something - in fact we never even left the Ross of Mull which is the bit that sticks out bottom left of the island(!) because there was so much to see around Fionnphort which was our base for the week. If you can get booked, this B & B looked lovely and their website has loads of useful information about walks, drives etc.

http://www.seaview-mull.co.uk/

You have to drive across Mull to see Iona (I think!)

Have a lovely holiday

Woody x

Edited: 08 May 2012, 02:19
9. Re: Please give me a reality check on our possible itinerary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 21:12