We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking the Train from London to Edinburgh

New York
Level Contributor
117 posts
2 reviews
Taking the Train from London to Edinburgh

I want to travel on Sdnday, Sept 26, one-way, leaving in the morning. What's the best way to purchase a ticket in advance and is there an express?

What station do I come in to? I assume I leave from Charring Cross.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
1. Re: Taking the Train from London to Edinburgh

Best way to purchase ticket in advance is on the train operator's website, East Coast: http://www.eastcoast.co.uk/

There are no booking fees, seat reservations are free of charge and automatically made when booking tickets, site accepts most overseas payment cards, ticket collection from machines at many UK train stations. Currently bookings are only open until Sept 24 but you can register at above site to be notified by email when tickets for your date(s) are released. One way prices are from around £13 but expect to pay £25 or so on Sundays. There is some track work scheduled for Sunday Sept 26 which will extend journey times by 30 minutes, say 5hrs instead of 4-1/2hrs.

Trains depart from Kings Cross station in London (NOT Charing Cross) and arrive at Edinburgh Waverley station in city centre.

Edited: 03 July 2010, 22:02
New York
Level Contributor
117 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Taking the Train from London to Edinburgh

Thanks. I went on the site to check on prices and times and I"m getting fares of over 200 pounds! What am I doing wrong?

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
28 reviews
3. Re: Taking the Train from London to Edinburgh

Leave it a few days. Bookings for value fares only open 12 weeks before departure and you are too early!

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
4. Re: Taking the Train from London to Edinburgh

I should have warned you (as several of us do on the many threads on advance train ticket bookings) - if you look at dates beyond the period when bookings are open only the full fares display. There is no point whatever in considering full fares as price would be the same bought at station on the day for immediate travel.

As per my earlier post, register at East Coast to be notified when tickets go on sale for Sept 26; it may be 2 or 3 weeks yet as there are track works scheduled for that day although they don't affect journeys too much. In the meantime you won't miss out on the cheaper fares as no one else can buy them either.

New York
Level Contributor
117 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Taking the Train from London to Edinburgh

Thanks, I did register and will wait for them to notify me.

6. Re: Taking the Train from London to Edinburgh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 January 2011, 11:46