We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arthur’s seat

Oxted, United...
Level Contributor
90 posts
30 reviews
19 helpful votes
Arthur’s seat
Save

I am coming to Edinburgh and would like to walk up to Arthur’s Seat ,however my husband had surgery on one knee last year and is awaiting surgery on the other knee . I have read there are easier routes / places to park but somewhat confused - would welcome clarification and tips if possible please. Thanks in advance.

9 replies to this topic
Durham
Level Contributor
7,141 posts
7 reviews
19 helpful votes
1. Re: Arthur’s seat
Save

Although you can avoid some steep sections, I think the walk would be difficult if you have significant knee problems. https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/lothian/arthurs-seat.shtml

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
14,327 posts
18 reviews
119 helpful votes
2. Re: Arthur’s seat
Save

I concur - especially if at the point of waiting for surgery. Even if you drive halfway round the hill and park at the Dunsapie Loch Car Park which has you about 500m to the summit - the grade is steady but fairly steep to near the summit. Thats potentially manageable but the last section up the rocky summit may be out.

Street view gives you a good idea of the grassy slope that gets you to about 100m from the summit - take a look and see if that is doable on the knee. You can get decent views at the shoulder in the hill at the top of that grassy section and decide from there if the actual summit is doable - or simply come back down at that point.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,765 posts
597 reviews
209 helpful votes
3. Re: Arthur’s seat
Save

Currently the high road to Dunsapie is closed to vehicles, so becomes a long walk.

You may be able to walk on the path through Hunters Bog, between the summit and the rear of Salisbury Crags, starting oppisite the car park at the rear of the Palace of Holyroodhouse.

Alternatively, Calton Hill would give you views over the city, but pathed to the top.

Post #2, while Arthur's Seat towers over the city centre, it is only 827 feet high, so your measurements in metres should be in feet.

Edited: 24 August 2021, 13:09
Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
14,327 posts
18 reviews
119 helpful votes
4. Re: Arthur’s seat
Save

>>Currently the high road to Dunsapie is closed to vehicles, so becomes a long walk.<<

Ah that would be a bit of a problem - so scrap that idea.

Calton Hill is likely your best option for views over the city view that are accessible to someone with knee problems then

>>Post #2, while Arthur's Seat towers over the city centre, it is only 827 feet high, so your measurements in metres should be in feet.<<

If you insist - so measuring on Googlemaps I make it about 1600 feet or so from the mentioned car park to the summit on the plan view, then. Not quite sure why metres is inappropriate.

Desford, United...
Level Contributor
1,779 posts
2 reviews
2 helpful votes
5. Re: Arthur’s seat
Save

“Not quite sure why metres is inappropriate” Perhaps your metres were being read as heights not distances :-)

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
8,182 posts
726 reviews
771 helpful votes
6. Re: Arthur’s seat
Save

Calton Hill, to me, gives the better views over Edinburgh than Arthur's Seat though I appreciate that the hill climb itself is the thing too.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
1,988 posts
47 reviews
39 helpful votes
7. Re: Arthur’s seat
Save

You get a nice view of the city from Edinburgh Castle esplanade

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
5,442 posts
26 reviews
16 helpful votes
8. Re: Arthur’s seat
Save

Calton hill path, from Waterloo Place: this begins with a couple of flights of stone steps, and after a right turn, a lot more. However you can avoid the second set of steps by not turning right, but following zigzag paths that come out at the observatory.

However there's a road which services the observatory and the cafe, so it's normally open. It starts a little further east and ascends behind the old Royal High School.

Google maps shows the various paths and the road. https://goo.gl/maps/yhonCPCksqN7kpNG8

Scenic views: Calton Hill has excellent views over central Edinburgh. Arthur's seat has much more expansive views. On a really clear day you can pick out Ben Nevis, way over on the west coast. But that's probably a climb too far on a dicky knee.

Edited: 24 August 2021, 16:52
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,765 posts
597 reviews
209 helpful votes
9. Re: Arthur’s seat
Save

Post #4 Myrm, indeed, as post #5 mentions, I was thinking vertical, not horizontal (-ish) distance for the hill.

Apologies for confusion.

Reply to: Arthur’s seat
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.