We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which day trip- Loch Lomond or Lochness

London, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
which day trip- Loch Lomond or Lochness

Hi

Please suggest which day trip from edinburgh will be better- Loch Lomond/stirling castle or Lochness/Glencoe?

Thanks

13 replies to this topic
Glasgow
Level Contributor
3,774 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which day trip- Loch Lomond or Lochness

Loch Ness is too far for a day trip.

Loch Lomond would be ok or have a look at Highland Lochs or West Highland Lochs.

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
311 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: which day trip- Loch Lomond or Lochness

quite agree, loch ness is too far for a day trip IMHO

London, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: which day trip- Loch Lomond or Lochness

thanks for response. If we don't mind the distance then which would be better? as we are taking tour services so it should be manageable.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,506 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: which day trip- Loch Lomond or Lochness

Loch Lomond - Loch Ness is too far and too much time is spent on the bus/coach.

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
508 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which day trip- Loch Lomond or Lochness

Even if you take a tour service do you want to spend 8 hours on a bus?

I'm also planning a day tour on my upcoming trip. We chose a Loch Lomand, Stirling Castle trip, as it will be more time off of the bus. Additionally, Loch Ness isn't generally considered one of the more scenic spots in Scotland, so even further reason not to spend all day in a bus to get there.

Mentioned in this post
Stirling Castle
Stirling Castle
7,239 Reviews
Stirling, UK
Loch Ness
Loch Ness
1,314 Reviews
Loch Ness, UK
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Inverurie, United...
Level Contributor
146 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: which day trip- Loch Lomond or Lochness

If you're going to Loch Ness I'd suggest you stay at the Abbey Fort Augustus and make it an overnight.

Fort Augustus...
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: which day trip- Loch Lomond or Lochness

I would agree that Loch Ness is a bit far for a day trip but you could get the mega bus to Inverness which would get you in for noon. Then you could do a cruise on Loch Ness, perhaps visiting urquhart castle along the way before heading back in the evening last megabus is at 7.15pm If you had the time Fort Augustus overnight would be a great shout as Blomk mentioned, you can get a citylink bus from Inverness to Fort Augustus and there are loads of places to stay.

Mentioned in this post
Loch Ness
Loch Ness
1,314 Reviews
Loch Ness, UK
Inverness
Inverness
Scottish Highlands, UK
Fort Augustus
Fort Augustus
1,074 Reviews
Fort Augustus, UK
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2,699 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: which day trip- Loch Lomond or Lochness

Whether Megabus, Citylink or Scotrail - or a tour company - the journey from Edinburgh to Inverness takes anything from 3 1/2 to 4 hours, and the same back. That's a long time to sit, even if some of the scenery out of the window is quite pretty. IMO that's a long way to go for Loch Ness. If you're sold on the Nessie aspect, so be it, but there are hundreds of lochs more scenic than Loch Ness, which is a mahoosively long and deep trench. Sorry to be brutal about it.

Personally? I'd head for one of the small group tours to Loch Lomond or Glencoe or an area nearby. Less time in the bus, more time to get out and stretch your legs, more variety in places you visit, and much better scenery overall.

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Inverness
Inverness
Scottish Highlands, UK
Loch Ness
Loch Ness
1,314 Reviews
Loch Ness, UK
Loch Lomond
Loch Lomond
385 Reviews
Stirling, UK
Glencoe
Glencoe
Scottish Highlands, UK
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
67,108 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: which day trip- Loch Lomond or Lochness

I'm yet another person who is convinced that it's too far to take a day trip from Edinburgh to Loch Ness. I tried it over 20 years ago. I left Edinburgh at 0630 in the morning and returned at around 2030. From leaving my hotel to returning it was almost 16 hours, including grabbing a quick meal on the way from the railway station to the hotel.

I learnt from my mistake and vowed never to do such a long day trip again. So it will be no surprise to learn that I urge you to go to Loch Lomond instead. Far closer, more manageable, and more enjoyable,

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Olomouc, Czech...
Level Contributor
25 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: which day trip- Loch Lomond or Lochness

If you're travelling by car then I would recommend Stirling castle and Loch Lomond. However, if you do venture up to Loch Ness then the eastern side of the loch is a lot more enjoyable and relatively traffic free. The west side is frequented by buses and Urquhart castle has been turned into a "cash cow" devoid of any atmosphere. You can get a good view of the castle from the eastern, opposite side of the loch. Hope the sun makes an appearance for you, M.

Reply to: which day trip- Loch Lomond or Lochness
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;