We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rent a castle in Scotland

Miramichi, Canada
3 posts
Rent a castle in Scotland

I wont to rent a entire castle for my wedding, 7 couples 3 teens and 1 adult has anyone did this and what castle would you recommend. Self catering would be great but if there is a good deal out there I would like to hear it tks. Dave m

19 replies to this topic
glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
13,751 posts
14 reviews
1. Re: Rent a castle in Scotland

Castles up and down the Country host Weddings, they are usually ones which have been turned into Hotels!

I can recall being at least to three Weddings in a Castle!

However to exclusively rent one where such a small group of you stay in it, and self cater! is beyond me?

Aberdeenshire...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
19,886 posts
149 reviews
2. Re: Rent a castle in Scotland

I think to close down a whole place that is a wedding venue. A lot of Castles are now Hotels, as said. So they have many bedrooms and a bar a dinning room etc., This means turning away other guests who want to stay, so bedrooms closed down, also bar closed to visitors and no meals available to visitors. It would cost the hotel a lot of money to do this. Also, how long would you want to close the place down. 1 day, 2 days, a week? I think this would be into thousands of pounds to do this. Possibly six figures. I know a couple gettng married in a former Castle which is now an Hotel. They have booked 2 years in advance, which is normal for a wedding and it is costing them £24,000 and this is just to have a wedding and not close the place down. Guests have to pay for their own accommodation and they couple have been told the price is not guaranteed and could go up in the next year.

What is your budget?

Delegate is a small and real Castle try them

http://www.delgatiecastle.com/Weddings.htm

However, cannot see you being able to do this.

Aberdeenshire...
Level Contributor
490 posts
67 reviews
3. Re: Rent a castle in Scotland

The Landmark Trust has some stately homes you could consider.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
77 posts
28 reviews
4. Re: Rent a castle in Scotland

U can try Augill castle, but its near to lake district. not in scotland. Definitely look small for your no. of guest & romantic.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
367 posts
162 reviews
5. Re: Rent a castle in Scotland

Not going to happen my friend. Rethink your plans and come away from such grandiose schemes. Hiring a small country guesthouse/hotel is likely to be your only realistic choice.

I wish you well.

Edited: 27 September 2018, 12:18
London, United...
Level Contributor
11,216 posts
23 reviews
6. Re: Rent a castle in Scotland

Here are some possibilities

https:/…

Oakham, United...
Level Contributor
3,508 posts
27 reviews
7. Re: Rent a castle in Scotland

If there literally only 18 of you with no other guests then there are large places you can rent as holiday rentals. Whether you could hold a wedding there is a different question. Would you employ a registrar to marry you in the kitchen?

30 seconds or less on google found me:

https:/…

Has one that says it hosts weddings. Prices for it start at £4400 for 2 nights.

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
4,104 posts
17 reviews
8. Re: Rent a castle in Scotland

On top of everything else there is the small matter of eligibility to marry in a country where you are not resident or a citizen. Scotland traditionally has been less strict on this than England but even so you would need to,look into, legal requirements, whether the venue is licensed for weddings etc etc . Not a straightforward task

London, United...
Level Contributor
33,599 posts
79 reviews
9. Re: Rent a castle in Scotland

Try Dundonald Castle. No accommodation. Stunning position.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,216 posts
23 reviews
10. Re: Rent a castle in Scotland

<<whether the venue is licensed for weddings etc etc . >>

That’s not a requirement in Scotland.

Reply to: Rent a castle in Scotland
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted