We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cardiff Airport Parking Charges

Ebbw Vale, United...
Destination Expert
for Santa Eulalia del Rio, Ibiza
Level Contributor
2,185 posts
134 reviews
Save Topic
Cardiff Airport Parking Charges

For the first time in 3 years we are flying from Cardiff airport at the end of May. I went to their new web site (not impressed) and was staggered to find, that at the daily rate, my 8 day stay would cost me £65.50 as the page say unless you pre-book. There were no links to pre-book parking so I rang the airport. For parking enquiries I was redirected to NCP who want to charge £82.50 for 8 days pre-booked! I also ran a quote on the NCP web site and it still comes to £82.50. I’ve sent an email to the airport asking how they justify their charges but I’m not holding my breath on getting a reply. Just to compare the prices with other airports I was quoted £47.59 at Bristol and £38.85 at Birmingham and thats for onsite parking at their long stay car parks. I know I can get it cheaper parking offsite as my cheapest quote is for £34.99 but I don’t like leaving my keys and having to phone / wait for buses.

Over the years I’ve noticed that Cardiff flight supplements were among the biggest and now it looks as if they want the most expensive car parking to match.

Phil

Essex
Level Contributor
28,576 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cardiff Airport Parking Charges

Sounds like you had better look at flights from Birmingham insted, then.

Carmarthen Wales
Destination Expert
for Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Pembrokeshire
Level Contributor
3,209 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cardiff Airport Parking Charges

I know that it is a bit of a bind, however, you can park off airport for less than that if you want

Ebbw Vale, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,185 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cardiff Airport Parking Charges

Hi EssexWanderer, I do. I’m lucky that from where I live I can choose from 3 airports. Cardiff is 55 minutes away, Bristol is 1 hr 20 mins and Birmingham is 1 hr 35 mins. Bristol and Birmingham also have Easyjet and Ryanair where as Cardiff only has BMI baby and no where as many tour operators. I think they only survive because of the captive population to the west of Cardiff that wouldn’t want to pass the airport on the way to Bristol.

Phil

Essex
Level Contributor
28,576 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cardiff Airport Parking Charges

Yes, I kind of understood that from your first post. So why fly from Cardiff if you don't like it, and then complain about it??

I doubt they will be changing their car park fees to anything less, any time soon.

Pembrokeshire, Wales
Level Contributor
535 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cardiff Airport Parking Charges

I dropped my son off for a flight in January, stayed long enough to make sure the flight wasn't going to be cancelled, about an hour and ten minutes, and then had to pay £6.20! If I'd been able to find out more quickly where to pay in the dark deserted car park I might have managed to get out within the hour.

I think Cardiff airport is only interested in business travellers, access by public transport is abysmal particularly if, like us, you come from the west, so we have to take the car. We have very little choice, but use Bristol whenever possible and go by train.

Aberystwyth, United...
Destination Expert
for Aberystwyth
Level Contributor
667 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cardiff Airport Parking Charges

I flew from Cardiff 4 years ago, & pre- booked parking at the airport beforehand (can't remember how much ). When we got there we drove around the very crowded car park, & managed to find a space. There were cars parked on the verges, even though signs said not to, obviously because the car park was full when they parked. Going from there later in the year & have this time booked hotel & parking, with transfer to airport for £64.50 at the Sky Plaza.

CARDIFF U.K.
Destination Expert
for Gran Canaria, Alykes, Alykanas
Level Contributor
6,665 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cardiff Airport Parking Charges

Hi Phil, booking online in advance is the way to go mate. Just priced the end of May for a week into June comes up under £40.

Try sites like "holidayextras" or join the "purpleparking club" for other special offers.

Edited: 12 March 2011, 21:06
Ebbw Vale, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,185 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cardiff Airport Parking Charges

Hi Mondeo1, I’ve booked into Cardiff Airparks who are at the Plaza Hotel for £33.99 for 8 day at the end of May. It’s as I said earlier I don’t like being ripped off and I don’t like leaving my keys.

I did have a reply from Cardiff Airport this morning and it makes interesting reading. I think it pays to complain and then they may do something about the fees. For my July holiday from Bristol I’ve booked the long stay car park (no further from the building than at Cardiff) for £42.49 for 8 days.

This is the reply from Cardiff Airport

Dear Mr Whitcombe

My apologies for the delay in my response to your email

Thank you for taking the time to question the car park charges, You are right to complain about the perceived car parking charges; we are at present in the process of reviewing our present arrangements with car park booking by various third party companies and regrettably as a consequence of our desire to change things our pre-booked prices have been increased significantly, however we are endeavouring to resolve this matter as soon as possible.

The airport is therefore recommending for passengers to turn up on site and pay gate prices and not to pre-book. Gate prices remain at the same rate with just an increase in line with the VAT increase on January 4th 2011. A comparison of airport gate prices shows that Cardiff is comparable to other UK airports.

The airport will also guarantee that passengers arriving to the site will have a space available in one of the three onsite airport car parks which are all situated close to the terminal, being more convenient for passengers accessing the main terminal building.

It is also important to note that car park products may vary so you are not comparing a like for like product e.g. our long stay car parks are either a short walk from the terminal building or a short bus ride of approx 5mins which is convenient for passengers. Other airports long stay car parks may be a significant distance from the terminal such as a 15mins bus ride and cars may be moved during the duration of the stay. Passengers need to bear these issues in mind

I trust my explanation of the situation clarifies the points you have raised. We sincerely regret any inconvenience that may have been caused to passengers; I know it is not a satisfying position

If I can be of any further help please do not hesitate to contact me

Kind regards

Margaret James

Contracts and Quality Manager

Rheolwraig Contractau a Safonau

Tel/Ffôn: +44 (0) 1446 712936

Fax/Ffacs: +44 (0) 1446 712555

CARDIFF U.K.
Destination Expert
for Gran Canaria, Alykes, Alykanas
Level Contributor
6,665 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cardiff Airport Parking Charges

Typical Phil, just the kind of reply to extract money from those that are blind to other services available !!!!!

Essex
Level Contributor
28,576 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cardiff Airport Parking Charges

Good result whitcop, didn't think you would have much luck, but happily I woz wrong!!

Hope it all works out OK

EW