We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transportation around Cardiff

Coronado, CA
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
transportation around Cardiff

My husband and I are returning to Wales this weekend, along with our Welsh-history-and-mythology-loving adult son. We will have a private guide/driver who will take us to mid and north Wales for 10 days but first we will have three days in Cardiff on our own. We arrive this Friday afternoon and will leave Cardiff the following Tuesday. Last visit we didn't have enough time to see places out from Cardiff and I want to get out to St. Fagan's one day and to Caerphilly Castle another. I'm planning to take the bus to both places from our hotel (the Hilton) or nearby. I realize the experts on this forum probably drive their own cars to these sites but I'm wondering if you can advise me on the feasibility of using the bus. I have looked at the transportation website and it looks fairly straight forward. Any local knowledge would be appreciated.

Also, I see that there is a food festival at St. Fagan's this weekend. I live in a tourist town and know that sometimes a big event makes a place more fun but sometimes a big event makes for more headaches and a lesser visitor experience. Any ideas as to whether we should visit during the weekend or if it would be better on Monday? Perhaps the weather forecast will be a better indicator of when to go than the crowds, however...

8 replies to this topic
Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
9,364 posts
64 reviews
1. Re: transportation around Cardiff

"I realize the experts on this forum probably drive their own cars to these sites but I'm wondering if you can advise me on the feasibility of using the bus"

I would probably drive my car to St Fagans, but the bus from the city centre is super easy and drops you right at the entrance. I wouldn't think of driving to Caerphilly (though I wouldn't take the bus either, train is faster). Cardiff Queen Street station probably easiest from the Hilton to pick up the train.

"Any ideas as to whether we should visit during the weekend or if it would be better on Monday?"

St Fagans is a big spread out site, but Monday may be better if you want some peace and quiet. I agree with your follow up though to be more guided by the likely weather - a lot of it is outside.

Wales
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
26 reviews
2. Re: transportation around Cardiff

Yes, there is a food festival at St Fagans next weekend, so while it will almost certainly be busier than usual, there will be plenty going on (more than usual, that is - including an opportunity to enjoy some lamb and other Welsh produce ;-) )

https:/…

Agree with the suggestion above to take the train to Caerphilly.

Edited: 03 September 2018, 13:25
Cardiff
Level Contributor
428 posts
28 reviews
3. Re: transportation around Cardiff

I caught the bus up to Caerphilly recently and the route it takes is definitely not the quickest, so as stated above, your best option is the train. If while you are in Caerphilly you are looking for somewhere to eat then I can recommend Casa Mia which overlooks the castle and is opposite Tommy Cooper's statue. They do a very good lunchtime menu - http://www.casamiacaerphilly.co.uk/food.html

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
228 posts
22 reviews
4. Re: transportation around Cardiff

The bus to St Fagans goes from half way down Westgate Street by the Principality Stadium (next to the rugby shop, stop KN I think), on service 32a run by Easyway. It takes around 40 mins. As said, it's a big site with plenty to do inside and out - the mansion and its gardens, the indoor museum, all the various buildings - so I would maybe save the best weather for Caerphilly Castle, as there's not much historic to see in the town.

https:/…32a-cardiff-st-fagans

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
228 posts
22 reviews
5. Re: transportation around Cardiff

Hello again, might your son like the Cardiff Castle ghost walk? I've done it, and it was fun (no actors, just atmospheric stories). Of course, you're seeing the interiors by candlelight, so missing the full mock-medieval exuberance of them... https://www.cardiffhistory.co.uk/index.php…

Coronado, CA
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: transportation around Cardiff

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. Looks like it will be the train to Caerphilly and the bus to St. Fagans. And since we have seen the interior of the Cardiff castle before, a ghost walk just might be fun to see it in a different light!

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
228 posts
22 reviews
7. Re: transportation around Cardiff

Glad that was helpful. The 32a is a small white minibus so I don't know how full it will get. It's the next bus stop to the one in front of the Welsh Rugby Union shop. Also, if you do book on Sunday's Dark Castle tour, request torches.

Caerphilly, United...
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
35 reviews
8. Re: transportation around Cardiff

When you get off the train in Caerphilly, walk across the railway bridge, past the taxi rank and turn right. You will then have a 5-10 minute walk through the town, and when you get to bottom of the one way road you'll see the castle in front of you.

As someone else has recommended, if you're looking for a lunch spot, Casa Mia is a restaurant that has views across the castle site from the window tables, and can be found above the Peter Allen estate agents at the bottom of the main street. Another place I'd recommend is an Italian restaurant called Volare which you'll find just outside the train station on the opposite side of the road.

While you're down by the castle take a look in Y Galeri, which you'll find under the visitor cafe. They sell some beautiful items (paintings, pottery, glassware, jewellery etc.) mostly created by South Wales artists.

https://www.ygalericaerffili.co.uk/

Reply to: transportation around Cardiff
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cardiff
Recent Conversations