We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cardiff Castle

Level Contributor
31 posts
70 reviews
Cardiff Castle

How much time do I need to give to go around the castle? thank you

4 replies to this topic
Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
48 reviews
1. Re: Cardiff Castle

I believe the castle itself recommends 2 hours. It depends how much you want to see. I would say 2 hours is about right if (as I would recommend) you pay the extra entrance fee and take a guided tour (about 45 minutes) through the main house because the apartments are the best example of the work by the eccentric but genius architect William Burges and you will see rooms, and have things pointed out to you and explained, which will not be possible if you buy the basic ticket (which allows you only into the main rooms). The rooms are flamboyantly decorated variously with gold leaf, marble, stone, wood and coloured glass and depict a Victorian version of a fantasy medieval castle. If you wish to climb the Norman Keep there is not much to see inside, as of itself, but you get great views over Cardiff and miles beyond from the top. You can also walk through the wartime tunnels, fitted out as they were when they were air raid shelters in 1940. There is also an underground military museum.

Edited: 09 August 2018, 11:54
Level Contributor
31 posts
70 reviews
2. Re: Cardiff Castle

Thanks! Great info

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
153 reviews
3. Re: Cardiff Castle

We spent two hours exploring with two kids aged 9&11.

Level Contributor
31 posts
70 reviews
4. Re: Cardiff Castle

Thanks. Can’t wait!

Reply to: Cardiff Castle
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cardiff