We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Penn y pass parking

burton on trent
Level Contributor
109 posts
21 reviews
Penn y pass parking

Staying in Betws-y-coed with my lads , 8&6, planning on getting up and driving to penn y pass , park up n then do the Pyg track to the top of Snowdon... then we’re staying the night at the YHA hostel opposite the car park...

prob is , that I know full well I’m not gonna make it to the car park in time for there to be any spaces left... what does everyone do ?... obviously we’re gonna want/ need breakfast and I’ve heard car parks full by around 0730...most places including our hotel does breakfast around 0800... difficult logistics even without kids ..???.👍 thanks guys

13 replies to this topic
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,871 posts
1 review
1. Re: Penn y pass parking

The one time I parked there we rocked up about noon and found a space.

I found the Pyg track a pretty hard climb. It's very steep indeed in places. Has your 6 year old done something similar before? You really don't want to carry him up there!

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
20,251 posts
76 reviews
2. Re: Penn y pass parking

You could get the Sherpa bus, but they aren't very regular so check the times carefully.

www.traveline.cymru

P.S. I would advise that, further to post #1, the Miners Track is easier than the Pyg. I've done both.

Edited: 07 August 2018, 02:13
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
20,251 posts
76 reviews
3. Re: Penn y pass parking

P.P.S. just re-read your post and see that you staying at the YHA, so the bus will be of no use unless you don't mind going back to Betws-y-Coed to pick up the car.

burton on trent
Level Contributor
109 posts
21 reviews
4. Re: Penn y pass parking

Hi ... thanks for replies and help... yeah, we did the Pyg track last year but managed to squeeze car in a bay across the road...total luck... it is difficult to park n then climb eh.?

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,112 posts
5. Re: Penn y pass parking

The nearest 'proper' parking is along the road near the Pen-y-Gwryd hotel, and walk up the permissive path to Pen-y-Pass. An alternative might be to time your arrival such that if you don't get in at Pen-y-Pass you drive on to Llanberis, park there and get the bus back up. Go up the Pyg/Miners, walk down to Llanberis, and drive back up. You presumably won't have any problem getting a space late in the day.

Cheshire - England
Level Contributor
753 posts
21 reviews
6. Re: Penn y pass parking

Hello I have been up Snowdon many times from the Penn Y Pass and what you say is correct you will have great problems getting a parking place there in August. A way to do this would be as follows:-

Leave your car in Llanberis it the morning and get a Taxi to the YHA, then do the walk going up by either the Miners or Pyg Track but then come down by the Llanberis Path which will be a change and there is also a Cafe with Toilets half way down that you can use on the way down. When you get to the bottom then get into your car and drive to the YHA where by late afternoon you will find parking spaces.

Edited: 07 August 2018, 18:13
burton on trent
Level Contributor
109 posts
21 reviews
7. Re: Penn y pass parking

Yeah... that helps... nice one guys 👍 good idea.. ... is it a similar length/time walking down to Llanberis?...

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,112 posts
8. Re: Penn y pass parking

It's longer, goes down further, and is less interesting. But it goes to your car!

Another idea would be to re-jig your plan so you climb Snowdon the day after you stay at the YHA. Is that possible?

Edited: 07 August 2018, 21:30
burton on trent
Level Contributor
109 posts
21 reviews
9. Re: Penn y pass parking

Dewy 55... did just that👍... we set out at 0845.... Pyg up, miners down... it thrashed it down at the top and caught us for five mins before we went in cafe like drowned rats... drinks n bite and we left about an hour later... was real cold n bleak but dry for the first half hour then she smiled on us and the sun came out!... miners track all the way back...arrived at 1530... little ens did so well... the only prob with doing it this way round is if it does rain hard on way back , you arrive at your car filthy and soaking with no real place to change... anyways thanks peeps👍

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
20,251 posts
76 reviews
10. Re: Penn y pass parking

Went up the Pyg in mid February a few years ago. Constant drizzle and fog the whole way up. Couldn't see more than 20ft in front at the top.

But within half an hour the rain and fog had cleared and we walked back down the Miners with nice views, and the sun even managed to show itself!

Another time, went up and down the Miners in July and it was perfect conditions, except at the the top there was low clouds so the views weren't amazing but still very good. 😉

Reply to: Penn y pass parking
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Betws-y-Coed
Recent Conversations
More Betws-y-Coed Topics