We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most scenic train ?

London, United...
Level Contributor
128 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Most scenic train ?

Hi everyone,

I have 2 full days in Snowdonia with my mum .

Please advise me about the most scenic railway .

My mum cannot walk long distances due to arthritis that’s why I’m thinking to take her on any transport to view the scenery .

Thank you

2 replies to this topic
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
71,261 posts
470 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Most scenic train ?

The Welsh Highland Railway between Caernarfon and Porthmadog is scenic, but it's a long trip and there are not many trains each day,

The Festiniog is also pretty, taking you between Porthmadog and Blaenau Festiniog, which was once the slate capital of the world.

Perhaps your choice will be influenced by where you will be staying? There are ordinary trains between Llandudno and Blaenau Festiniog as well as the narrow gauge line from porthmadog, and the latter is also served by Arriva Traisn Wales from Machynlleth and Shrewsbury.

In southern Snowdonia, and also with a main line rail connection, there's the pretty Talyllyn Railway from Tywyn.

London, United...
Level Contributor
128 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Most scenic train ?

Thank you. That’s helpful.

We have a plan are to stay around LL55 post code (mountain train ) and have full day next day .

In that case do you advise to do Welsh Highland train because we have whole day and I believe that Welsh highland train shouldn’t be too far from mountain train.

We can also stay somewhere in between these two trains (mountain and Welsh ) but I need your advise on this that where about to base ? As I don’t know the area . I have a car so I can drive easily in between the attractions.

Reply to: Most scenic train ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Snowdonia National Park