We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bangor-Getting around?

Edmonton
Level Contributor
201 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Bangor-Getting around?

I'm arriving by train to Bangor in the afternoon in April and see there is a bus to Chateau Rhianfa that I can take, or a taxi if necessary. When I leave Chateau Rhianfa, I wanted to go via the Llanfairpwll train station. Is it easy enough by bus (morning departure) or should I take a taxi? I"ll have a train ticket (rail/sail to Dublin), is there anything special I need to do to flag down the train to make sure it stops? Also, How best to go from Chateau Rhianfa to Garth Pier if I wanted to go by bus (or is a taxi better) to snap some photos there? thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Bangor
Bangor
Gwynedd, UK
Chateau Rhianfa
Chateau Rhianfa
1,140 Reviews
Island of Anglesey, UK
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Bangor Garth
Bangor Garth
496 Reviews
Bangor, UK
2 replies to this topic
Gwynedd, United...
Level Contributor
254 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bangor-Getting around?

Plas Rhianfa to Llanfairpwll: As far as I know, there is no direct bus. You would first need to go from Plas Rhianfa to Menai Bridge (5 minutes) and change onto another bus for Llanfairpwll. Given that the bus timings can be a little stretched in the mornings, I'd get a taxi for all the distance involved. Make sure to book the taxi in advance - many local drivers do school runs, and are not so easy to book until after 9 a.m.

Llanfairpwll train: Just stand on the platform looking to the right, make yourself conspicuous and be prepared to stick your arm out!. Not all services will be stopping services, so check your timetable.

Plas Rhianfa to Garth area: Get bus to Bangor terminus. From there, the best bet is to walk, it's about a mile. From the bus stops walk downhill to the Marks & Spencer store, turn right, and just follow the main road. Where the main road veers round to the right after half a mile, just keep going straight on down the minor road.

Mentioned in this post
Bangor Garth
Bangor Garth
496 Reviews
Bangor, UK
Bangor
Bangor
Gwynedd, UK
Edmonton
Level Contributor
201 posts
28 reviews