We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tenby from the Midlands

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
117 posts
7 reviews
8 helpful votes
Tenby from the Midlands
Save

Hi, I will be travelling to Tenby from Wolverhampton, Google maps is giving me 3 options and I'm getting on a tizz to decide 9n which one!

I'm not the most confident of drivers and will have a 7 year old and a 4 month old so will need suitable places to stop for toilet , nappy change and possibly a bottle feed!

Has anyone got any advice? The less mileage option doesn't look like there would be any service stations? It looks all a and b roads. ? But then the M5 route is 65 miles longer though.

Help!

6 replies to this topic
Bristol, England
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
27 reviews
28 helpful votes
1. Re: Tenby from the Midlands
Save

The motorway route may be 65 miles longer (,and less scenic) but it will only take about the same time and you will have frequent access to service areas.

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,846 posts
19 reviews
47 helpful votes
2. Re: Tenby from the Midlands
Save

I agree with Christabel. You’ll get regular signs telling you how far it is to the next services and you’re practically guaranteed a baby changing room.

Make sure you set out with a full tank though, the price of fuel at those places is outrageous.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
3,060 posts
10 reviews
1 helpful vote
3. Re: Tenby from the Midlands
Save

TLDR: The motorway route may be less stressful but you might get far worse traffic. The more direct route is scenic and if you are willing to plan stops and take your time then it is a nicer drive.

Taking the motorway route will take you slightly longer but if you prefer motorway / dual carriageway driving or don't want to plan stops and have services available, that route will be 'easiest'. It is also most likely to have delays. Do take the M50-A40 route via Monmouth, Raglan and back to the M4 as it's slightly shorter and dual carriageway or three lanes all the way, and there are services signposted all the way.

If you take the more direct route following Google, the first half is very pretty A and B roads. They are good roads but some are narrower and go through villages / towns so you do need to pay attention, e.g. cars parked on the roads when going through villages, changes to speed limits, etc. If you have the whole day to make the journey then there are lots of nice places to stop and break up the journey more (4+ hours of driving on your own is quite a lot). Stops I know of:

- Bridgnorth (~30 minutes) As you come in to Bridgnorth from Wolverhampton and turn left at a roundabout there is a Co-op, M&S food and Severn Street car park has toilets (paid for).

- Craven Arms (~1 hr) As you come in to Craven Arms there is a supermarket ahead of you (right then left on mini roundabouts) but if you turn left towards Ludlow you find the Shropshire Hills Discovery Centre is signposted, has a nice cafe and public toilets and a nice picnic area / park to walk along the river.

- Knighton (1 hr 30) is a lovely town for a cafe stop and there are small toilets at the main car park (Bowling Green Lane).

- Llandrindod Wells, Llandrindod Lake (2 hrs) When you approach Llandrindod Wells, the satnav will direct you on the bypass, but if you go straight on, through the small town centre and follow signs to "The Lake" there is a cafe and toilets and picnic site and you could feed the ducks. (Left at the mini roundabout and immediately right.)

- Llandovery (2hr 30) has a public toilet next to the derelict castle with car parking (but paid for, I think 20p or 30p).

- Carmarthen (3 hr 15) you go past lots of retail places, on a dual carriageway. They are not signposted but there are large Morrisons and Tesco here as well as other shops.

Particularly on the second half of that route, the A roads have a lot of lay-bys and picnic sites signposted (usually in woodland) where you could do a feed, just that most don't have a toilet. Personally, I would take this route but put the Shropshire Hills Discovery Centre, Llandrindod Lake and Carmarthen supermarket into your satnav as stops.

West Midlands...
Level Contributor
2,211 posts
4. Re: Tenby from the Midlands
Save

SJR00 - fantastic info.

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
117 posts
7 reviews
8 helpful votes
5. Re: Tenby from the Midlands
Save

Thank you so much for so much detail in your answer, I've screenshotted it and will definitely look into it.

Thank you so much it is really appreciated

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
117 posts
7 reviews
8 helpful votes
6. Re: Tenby from the Midlands
Save

Sjr-

one more question, is there any sheer drops and tight bends on the scenic route? Its just that we travelled to hafan y mor a couple of years ago and that journey was absolutely horrendous with the horse shoe bend and the mountain drops either side of the car (I did actually have a few tears myself on that drive!) I said I'd never go again to hafan y mor for that reason alone!

Reply to: Tenby from the Midlands
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.