We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Old Windsor a charming place to stay?

Level Contributor
104 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Is Old Windsor a charming place to stay?

Considering booking an airbnb in Old Windsor, a few minutes walk from Windsor Farm Shop. It's so much cheaper than anything in Windsor. Is Old Windsor a charming location to stay for the few days? We are 2 adults and a child, looking for somewhere to wind down at the end of our trip, before we fly back to Australia. I'd appreciate any advice. Thank you.

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,683 Reviews
from US$ 122.70*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,252 Reviews
from US$ 125.40*
Windsor Castle, Stonehenge, and...
1,113 Reviews
from US$ 78.70*
13 replies to this topic
Marlow, United...
Level Contributor
5,644 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Old Windsor a charming place to stay?

> Is Old Windsor a charming location to stay for the few days?<

Not really, most of it is fairly modern (20c) housing bisected by a busy road. There's not much there for a visitor. It may be ok as a base if you have a car, but charm is something it lacks.

Marlow, United...
Level Contributor
5,644 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Old Windsor a charming place to stay?

If you want riverside charm - try Marlow or Henley or Cookham - all within easy travelling from LHR.

Level Contributor
104 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Old Windsor a charming place to stay?

Great, thank you so much!

Cobham, United...
Level Contributor
1,601 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Old Windsor a charming place to stay?

Agree. Much of it is what you might term "posh suburban" (relative to Windsor itself) with some private gated estate properties. It's not completely devoid of things to do, but the reason it's cheap is that it's not conveniently close enough to the usual attractions of Windsor itself for a typical tourist.

If price is a major consideration then unfortunately you will find that better locations for a tourist (and @Poolounger2 mentions some good ones) will usually have that reflected in their accommodation prices.

Level Contributor
104 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Old Windsor a charming place to stay?

Thank you R. The name "Old Windsor" sounded very charming, but I can see I'm mistaken. I'd rather spend a bit more and stay somewhere more appealing.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London, Windsor
Level Contributor
7,997 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Old Windsor a charming place to stay?

The reason it's 'Old Windsor' is because that's where the original town was (Windlesora). The Anglo-saxon kings had a palace there. When William the conqueror came along in 1066, he built his castle where it is today, a couple of miles away, and because, being 100' above the river, it was better for strategic and defensive purposes. People then started to set up stalls around the castle base because the soldiers had the money, and so the 'new' town of Windsor was born.

However these days, it's all Windsor, but obviously those living in Old Windsor still like to have the signs up proclaiming it thus.

I often go to the royal farm shop for a cuppa, and I'd recommend it for their wide selection of cakes. But otherwise, I don't think it's a particularly good location unless you have a car.

Have you looked at B&Bs in eg Alma Road or St Leonard's Road? They'd be about a 10 -15 minute walk from the castle.

Cobham, United...
Level Contributor
1,601 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Old Windsor a charming place to stay?

>>>However these days, it's all Windsor, but obviously those living in Old Windsor still like to have the signs up proclaiming it thus<<<

What??? It's a separate civil parish and pretty much cut off from (New) Windsor by the Great Park in between them.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
4,179 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Old Windsor a charming place to stay?

Agree - it's another town really and there is a space between it and Windsor.

OP, if the price is better AND you have a car I would consider it. You're only a few minutes from Windsor and you can also get to some other places reasonably quickly from there (e.g. Englefield Green/Virginia Water/Savill Garden etc). And you're a stone's throw from a nice picnicking spot just past where the Magna Carta was signed at Runnymede.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London, Windsor
Level Contributor
7,997 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Old Windsor a charming place to stay?

Forgive me. I was thinking in terms of The Royal Borough of Windsor & Maidenhead

https://mol.rbwm.gov.uk/mol/map/

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,811 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Old Windsor a charming place to stay?

OP, if you would like to share your budget, we could give you better help.

There are family friendly places in Windsor and Eton, and a range of prices.

You could also post the link to your Airbnb. I'm interested to know what "a few minutes walk" is.

Reply to: Is Old Windsor a charming place to stay?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Windsor