We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

a day trip to eastern Wales, to a close town to Coventry

Coventry, United...
1 post
Save Topic
a day trip to eastern Wales, to a close town to Coventry

My family wish to take an overnight trip to Wales from Coventry, but we have a 4 yr old and would prefer to travel no more than 2 hours. Which town do you recommend that we can go to stay overnight where we can truly enjoy the culture, scenery and food of Wales?

8 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
511 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  
Save Reply
1. Re: a day trip to eastern Wales, to a close town to Coventry

Hi 24Charlemont,

I noticed that you inadvertently posted your question in the Come to Good Forum, so I have moved the topic on your behalf to the Conventry Forum.

Happy Travels!

Isabela

TripAdvisor Community Moderator

Wiltshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
11,031 posts
437 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: a day trip to eastern Wales, to a close town to Coventry

Are you driving or looking to use public transport? Do you have a budget for your accommodation?

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,439 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: a day trip to eastern Wales, to a close town to Coventry

You could have a look at Welshpool. You should be able to get there, by car, from Coventry within your 2 hour "limit"

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: a day trip to eastern Wales, to a close town to Coventry

Abergavenny is lovely.

Brecon would show you bigger scenery, but is stretching the 2 hour limit.

Lichfield, United...
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
396 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: a day trip to eastern Wales, to a close town to Coventry

This is going to be a car trip, yours or hired and a bit of google route planning. A lot of the joy of the Welsh countryside is actually driving through it at stopping at the smaller towns. Hope for good weather and be prepared for other, check the forecasts.

Bristol, England
Level Contributor
2,571 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: a day trip to eastern Wales, to a close town to Coventry

I would suggest Chepstow, which is only about an hour and three quarters via the M5. There is a castle and you can walk alongside the river, also plenty of cafes. The scenery is beautiful from there up to the village of Tintern, only another 15 minutes away. Tintern also has a large ruined abbey. I wouldn't recommend the suggestion of Welshpool. To me it feels English, too much red brick. You might as well be over the border in Shropshire.

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
312 posts
750 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: a day trip to eastern Wales, to a close town to Coventry

Welshpool has plentry to do in the area (Powis Castle, Welshpool and Llanfair Railway) and pretty scenery. Pistyll Rhaeadr is not far either.

Solihull
Level Contributor
4,937 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: a day trip to eastern Wales, to a close town to Coventry

Llangollen is an interesting place to visit with plenty for tourists. I think it is a lovely interesting place.

I went on to Google maps to measure how long it takes to drive form Coventry and it said it was 93.5 miles but was EXACTLY 2 hours driving time.

I know it may not take you exactly two hours just thought it was rather strange is that is the driving time you suggested.

Tourist web site

http://www.llangollen.org.uk/

Reply to: a day trip to eastern Wales, to a close town to Coventry
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted