We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warwick castle fun for adults?

Level Contributor
28 posts
Warwick castle fun for adults?

I just found out that Nottingham Castle is closed until 2020 so am looking for an alternative. We will be in Birmingham and heading to Derby but since Nottingham is closed I was thinking we might take the detour back south to visit Warwick before going to Derby that evening. But it will just be my husband and I and I was wondering if Warwick is fun for adults or mainly geared towards kids? We are big Disneyland fans so I’m not saying kid stuff is a huge putoff. But I can’t tell if Warwick is REALLY kiddy or not. And just a background of things we will have already covered for those who will suggest alternatives: we will have gone to Hampton Court palace, Tower of London, Bath, Stonehenge and the Cotswolds. Thanks for any help!

Special Offer
Oxford, Cotswolds...
1,381 Reviews
from US$ 113.20*
US$ 125.80
Special Offer
Warwick Castle, Oxford, Cotswolds...
194 Reviews
from US$ 70.30*
US$ 78.10
Warwick Castle: Admission Ticket
26 Reviews
from US$ 17.20*
9 replies to this topic
Warwickshire...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds, Rome, London
Level Contributor
3,863 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: Warwick castle fun for adults?

It is more kid's theme park than historic castle. I wouldn't go back but then I would sooner die than go to Disneyland so it may be right up your street!

Level Contributor
28 posts
2. Re: Warwick castle fun for adults?

LOL thanks for the insight. I was thinking more about Disneyland and decided it’s the rides that are the most fun there and Warwick doesn’t have rides. Looking at the attractions (princess tower, maze and playground) at Warwick, it sounds like those are things parents send their kids into and watch from the sidelines. Am I wrong?Maybe it won’t be so much up our ally. Can anyone suggest anything fun or interesting to do that’s not too out of the way traveling from Birmingham to Derby?

Illinois
Level Contributor
19,092 posts
16 reviews
3. Re: Warwick castle fun for adults?

I didn't think Warwick was just for kids. They do have a lot of kids activities, but I didn't have a kid with me and enjoyed it more than I expected. We went off season though, in Jan. My report of the day is in post 37 here:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g18633…

Level Contributor
28 posts
4. Re: Warwick castle fun for adults?

Thank you, that was helpful to read!

Essex
Level Contributor
31,768 posts
69 reviews
5. Re: Warwick castle fun for adults?

Warwick is a proper castle and IMO worth the visit for that alone. Perhaps you can "rise above" the stuff that is themed for children and concentrate on the structure itself.

Kenilworth Castle is worth a look, but is a ruin.

Bolsover Castle is worth a visit.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
606 posts
1 review
6. Re: Warwick castle fun for adults?

How about Lincoln castle ?

It is more on your route. You can see the Magna Carta in its magnificent new vault , walk the castle walls .

Then you could pop next door to Lincoln cathedral.

Buckingham, United...
Destination Expert
for Buckinghamshire, Somme, Winchester
Level Contributor
2,348 posts
2,105 reviews
7. Re: Warwick castle fun for adults?

Yes Warwick Castle is geared up to entertain children, but the castle itself is very interesting, well preserved and the displays they put on in the grounds are excellent - its good for all ages.

Warwickshire...
Level Contributor
1,577 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Warwick castle fun for adults?

Its certainly not just a childrens theme park. There is a lot to interest adults

Its expensive to get in so see if you can find any special deals

(i had a free ticket as i know someone who works there)

I especially enjoyed exploring the old water mill that was converted into a power station

Hatfield, United...
Level Contributor
616 posts
131 reviews
9. Re: Warwick castle fun for adults?

I liked it a lot - most of the stuff for kids is outside the actual castle building. There are no rides as at Disneyland, but you can watch jousting in the field just below the castle and try your hand at archery. When I went you could actually try on some armour - just the weight of the helmet and sword made me wonder how they ever managed to have a fight at all!

Reply to: Warwick castle fun for adults?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Warwick