We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monkey Forest

Malta
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Monkey Forest

Will be in the area, and planning to visit this place with our five yr old daughter. Any reviews? Worth the trip.

Also would a half day be enough, or do u recommend a whole day?

6 replies to this topic
Blackpool
Destination Expert
for Blackpool
Level Contributor
1,542 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monkey Forest

Lots of reviews here:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Rev…

Stoke-on-Trent...
Destination Expert
for Stoke-on-Trent
Level Contributor
371 posts
746 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monkey Forest

OK I'm normally very supportive of attractions in the Stoke area BUT I found the monkey forest a bit under-whelming, maybe with a five year old who is a wildlife fan it might seem interesting (?) but I think an hour to 90 minutes is plenty !! Better attractions (in my opinion) would be Trentham Gardens (next door) which has a huge outdoor playground, Flip Out (giant trampoline arena) 5 miles south at Stone, Waterworld (europe's largest indoor water park) 4 miles north, Alton Towers theme park 20 miles east or any of the pottery factories in Stoke-on-Trent which allow you to paint and create your own ceramic bowl or cup (Wedgwood, Gladstone, Emma Bridgwater to name a few) If your child is particularly excited about animals, I'd go to Chester Zoo, 35 miles north-west, it's one of the top ten visited attractions in the UK - enjoy !!

Stafford, United...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
5,265 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monkey Forest

I enjoyed each visit to The Monkey Forest with our son when he was younger. Definitely not a whole day attraction though, unless you combine Trentham Gardens (seperate charge) and shopping around the retail village. I'd say a couple of hours would be enough around the monkey forest.

You aren't allowed to take bags into the Monkey Forest itself (or at least couldn't a few years ago when I last went) . Any bags had to be left in a buiding at the gates to the part where the monkeys are.

Malta
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Monkey Forest

Thanks to all for your help. Trentham seems worth it and will surely visit. Is the shopping village close by to the gardens?

Stoke-on-Trent...
Destination Expert
for Stoke-on-Trent
Level Contributor
371 posts
746 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Monkey Forest

Trentham Gardens retail centre is right next door to monkey forest, the shops are in log cabins, parking is free and there's some decent coffee shops and restaurants. The Gardens is part of the same complex, but you pay to go into the gardens where there is a lake and a superb outdoor play area for younger children. If you haven't chosen your accommodation yet there is a Premier Inn hotel on site and another, Travelodge, about 500 yards away at the Trentham hotel's pub.

Stoke on Trent...
Level Contributor
740 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Monkey Forest

I'd agree with the others that the Monkey forest is good for an hour or two only. However, my grandchildren did enjoy being able to walk in with the monkeys up close. There are some interesting but short talks about the monkeys and the staff do well engaging the children in the talks. It isn't a long walk around the forest and if you are at the right time of year, the babies clinging on to their mums backs are really cute. Occasionally disputes break out too but the staff supervise the monkeys well. Just outside the fence to the monkey area is a restaurant and a play area for children too.

Reply to: Monkey Forest
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Stoke-on-Trent