We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Problems with traffic in Bath 16th April for 3 weeks

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,387 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Problems with traffic in Bath 16th April for 3 weeks

Just a warning that Churchill Bridge in Bath will be closed from next Monday (16th) for up to 3 weeks.

Given that this is a major route across town this is liable to cause huge traffic hold ups, especially 8-10am and 16-19pm.

I would suggest avoid attempting to drive through the city unless you absolutely have to until this torment is over.

Solihull
Level Contributor
3,937 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Problems with traffic in Bath 16th April for 3 weeks

I am visting the Bath area next week with my wife. We are staying in a hotel in Midsomer Norton about 10 miles South of Bath.

We hope to come in to Bath at least one day, maybe two.

I dont know Bath so will this Bridge closure affect us when visting by car?

Can anyone suggest anywhere to park, maybe on the edge of the city, and we can walk into the centre. Obviously on the South of the city as we will be coming from the South.

Or is there a park and ride in the city?

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,531 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Problems with traffic in Bath 16th April for 3 weeks

I would suggest using the Odd Down P&R which you would access from driving along the A367 from Midsomer Norton.

This P&R bus service would usually use Churchill Bridge to get into the city centre but will be re-routed to accomodate for the bridge closure.

bathnes.gov.uk/transportandstreets/Parking/p…

Edited: 13 April 2012, 00:25
Solihull
Level Contributor
3,937 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Problems with traffic in Bath 16th April for 3 weeks

I have had a look on the map and that P&R looks perfect.

Thank you.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,783 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Problems with traffic in Bath 16th April for 3 weeks

Great. I'm in Bath Friday week. Absolutely have to drive in, and absolutely have to pick some people up from the city centre. Presumably if I drive in from the London Road end it might not be so bad? (please?!) I can't move in my little town for roadworks as it is.

Thanks for the forewarning though.

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Problems with traffic in Bath 16th April for 3 weeks

GilliganUK, I think I'd bribe your friends to jump on trains to either Chippenham or Bradford (but I have a low patience threshold)!

Could you do the A303 and up the A36 ( but via Shrewton) then come into Bath via Brassknocker Hill down Widcombe Hill and pick up from Widcombe, not central Bath (your friends/colleagues would need to walk down through the car park and across the footbridge).

It will be a 'mare for a few days

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
289 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Problems with traffic in Bath 16th April for 3 weeks

We are coming to bath for a week staying near the Circus Mews. We are arriving May 3.....will things still be unsettled?

We are driving from Windsor.

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Problems with traffic in Bath 16th April for 3 weeks

Any thoughts anybody?

Down in Widcombe, traffic seems VASTLY improved (or maybe it is because everybody thought it would be like a day when the Christmas market coincided with a Bath home game).

This is the local news link (and scroll down for comments):

thisisbath.co.uk/Little-impact-bridge-closur…

8. Re: Problems with traffic in Bath 16th April for 3 weeks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 14:47