We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to spend a day in bath

Ireland, UK
Level Contributor
2,513 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to spend a day in bath

Hi everybody, We will be hopefully visiting Bath on a Saturday (July) coming from Bristol by train. Are the Baths far from the station and are they in or near the "centre" of Bath? Apart from the Baths we just want a general browse around and go somewhere for a few drinks and early dinner before we go back to Bristol. Any suggestions welcome as we've never been before. Also should we buy train tickets in advance? Thanks in advance.

Edited: 07 April 2012, 19:57
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,714 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Best way to spend a day in bath

Sorry - I didn't take in the OP was travelling on a Saturday so, no, advanced rate wouldn't apply! D'oh!

I don't think you can get advanced tickets for the Roman Baths, no:

romanbaths.co.uk/visiting/admission_charges.…

Ireland, UK
Level Contributor
2,513 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Best way to spend a day in bath

I've just checked your link Riostar ,and it is possible to book on line for the Baths ,so I will do that before we go. Thanks again everybody.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,387 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Best way to spend a day in bath

You can buy a combined ticket for the RBs and the Costume Museum - as a bloke I have not much interest in clothes or fashion (as you would know if you saw me walking down Milson St - 'who is that tramp ?'), but I found it fascinating.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
2,818 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Best way to spend a day in bath

With a rubber duck?

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,714 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Best way to spend a day in bath

Ha ha, I am blind today - I had a java script blocker on and didn't see the link to book tickets online. At least you saw it - enjoy your trip to Bath.

RioTstar :-)

Ireland, UK
Level Contributor
2,513 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Best way to spend a day in bath

Hi Roman Citizen , I saw that and thought I would like the fashion museum but my husband sounds a bit like you ....!! How long "roughly " do you think both the Baths and the Fashion one would take? Bearing in mind we have just a day and my husband will probably be more interested in the Bath watering holes! And I will probably want a look at the shops.

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Best way to spend a day in bath

Sadly you can't buy Roman Baths tickets in advance, but the queues aren't bad unless a coach has just arrived. If you get there and there's a big queue just leave it till later - there's plenty to see. Having said that, the queues are dealt with very efficiently and even large queues go through fairly fast.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,524 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Best way to spend a day in bath

Going back to the question about queueing for train tickets at Bristol Temple Meads.

On Easter Monday at 12.30pm there were no queues and I got a ticket to Bath straight away, but on Tuesday at 11.15am the queues were massive. I made it onto the 11.30am train seconds before they locked the doors !

Anyway, the weather on Monday wasn't too great and the heavens opened just as the final whistle blew at Twerton Park where Bath City lost 2-0 to Forest Green Rovers :-(

Tuesday was a different story - after a bit of drizzle the weather turned sunny in the afternoon and I enjoyed a few beers in the beer gardens of the Boater by Pulteney Bridge and The Bell on Walcot Street.

And Bath was certainly bustling with tourists.

One thing I was not impressed with is the new ticket barriers at Bath Spa station. It must be a nightmare trying to get through them during rush hour !

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,387 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Best way to spend a day in bath

The Roman Baths needs 90 mins to do it properly.

Your husband could spend some time in the Star while you are in the Costume Mueum - it's 5 minutes from there.

http://www.star-inn-bath.co.uk/

20. Re: Best way to spend a day in bath

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 17:46