We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oxford to Stonehenge by train

Wimberley, Texas...
1 post
Save Topic
Oxford to Stonehenge by train

Several family members and I wiil be in Oxford September 29 to Oct.3. Some of us would like to visit Stonehenge while there. We are touring England by rental car. traveling from Dallas,Texas. I am aware of several tours available at local hotels in Oxford. I was wondering about accommodations by train, Oxford to Stonehenge. I assume connections would be through London. Can you tell me how feasible it might be to visit Stonehenge using the public transportation? Also we want at least one day in London. What is travel time by train to London from Oxford? Where can I find train schedules?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
30,919 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Oxford to Stonehenge by train

If you have a hire car then the easiest way is to drive to Stonehenge. It's about 90 minutes driving but 150 minutes by public transport (train to Reading, train to Basingstoke, train to Salisbury then bus to Stonhenge). It's quicker to go from central London to Stonehenge

Train schedules - nationalrail.co.uk but from Oxford to London consider the Oxford Espress (yes that is the spelling) or Oxford Tube (which is a coach)

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Oxford to Stonehenge by train

Hourly trains from Oxford to Basingstoke, platform change for Salisbury. Somewhere between 110 and 120 mins. Far, far, quicker than going into London, crossing it and then out again.

And far, far, far quicker than getting a bus into London, then getting to the train. Neither though is as quick as the train from London. If you've got a choice, visit Stonehenge from London. If you haven't, get the train from Oxford.

No problem at all in visiting Stonehenge AND Salisbury cathedral and getting back to Oxford the same day. With a bit of guile, you can just about get the bus to Avebury as well.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
908 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oxford to Stonehenge by train

If I could interject? For your day trip to London - the speed of train v coach into London is a bit dependant on which part of Oxford you are travelling from - and which part of London you wish to travel to. Whilst the train is certainly quicker from the centre of Oxford to Paddington (and doesn't have rush hour hold ups) - if you were staying in Headington and wished to travel to Baker Street (for example) then because of the additional travel times to and from the rail stations the coach could be a better option. So my advice would be to check both options from your start and ultimate destination. This website will help. http://www.traveline.info/ Click South East option. This website will also work for your Oxford/Stonehenge trip.

4. Re: Oxford to Stonehenge by train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 July 2013, 09:47