We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Draft itinerary for four days in the Peak District

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
486 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Draft itinerary for four days in the Peak District

Thank you very much for your suggestions in my previous post regarding what to do on the four days I have in the Peak District.

I would be grateful for feedback please on my suggested itinerary as I don't think I have filled up my days sufficiently (or maybe I have)?

Taking the wonderful advice I have received this is the suggested Itinerary:

Thursday 23rd August - arrive late afternoon

- Wander around Bakewell/leisurely afternoon

Friday 24th

- Haddon Hall

- Ashford in the Water (in the afternoon)

Saturday 25th

- Treak Cavern (I have already recently visited Speedwell Cavern)

- Return from there via Foolow and Eyam to see their Well Dressings

Sunday 26th

- Chatsworth House (but go early as soon as it opens)

- Small circular walk with pubs on - any suggestions please (all without the need to use a car starting and returning to Bakewell).

- Or happy to do something different however I think everywhere will be busy on this Sunday afternoon so trying to avoid driving.

Bank Holiday Monday

- Monsal Trail walk

- Travel home late afternoon

How easy is it to get a taxi please around Bakewell? The reason I ask is that some places are very near to Bakewell but just too far to walk and we may wish to have a leisurely afternoon, with a pint admiring the beautiful scenery (so I would leave my car at the B&B).

Thank you again for your advice.

Mentioned in this post
Bakewell
Bakewell
Peak District National Park, UK
Haddon Hall
Haddon Hall
1,471 Reviews
Bakewell, UK
Speedwell Cavern
Speedwell Cavern
1,053 Reviews
Castleton, UK
Eyam
Eyam
Hope Valley, UK
Chatsworth House
Chatsworth House
7,015 Reviews
Bakewell, UK
Monsal Trail
Monsal Trail
1,318 Reviews
Bakewell, UK
15 replies to this topic
England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
5,379 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Draft itinerary for four days in the Peak District

Taxis are rarely found hanging around Bakewell waiting for a fare, so you usually have to prebook them.

There are very few taxis based in Bakewell but this operator has appeared recently so you could give them a try - www.bakewelltaxialstaxis.synthasite.com .

P-t-B

Edited: 09 August 2018, 01:43
Mentioned in this post
Bakewell
Bakewell
Derbyshire, England
Level Contributor
38 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Draft itinerary for four days in the Peak District

P-t-B is very right in saying Hackney taxis are rarer than hens teeth in Bakewell. All the taxi services based in the town are private hire that need to be prebooked.

The local pubs often have lists of the private hire firms that they recommend. If you would like any names before you arrive please let me know.

How far would you like your circular pub walk to be. There is a great pub at Over Haddon called The Lathkil, which overlooks one of the local limestone dales. Its about a 3 mile circular walk from Bakewell, up hill for the first half. Other than that AShford is an easy walk from Bakewell through the meadows adjacent to the River Wye

Mentioned in this post
Bakewell
Bakewell
Over Haddon
Over Haddon
Bakewell, UK
The Lathkil Hotel
The Lathkil Hotel
200 Reviews
Over Haddon, UK
Ashford
Ashford
Kent, UK
River Wye
River Wye
108 Reviews
Bakewell, UK
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
486 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Draft itinerary for four days in the Peak District

Thank you for both of your replies and I will definitely bear that in mind with taxis.

I'm now thinking of visiting Chatsworth House and Gardens as soon as they open on the Bank Holiday Monday. This would then give us the Sunday for the Monsal Trail. I haven't researched that but would prefer to walk it rather than cycle - do you know a good walking route please starting and ending in Bakewell please that I could print out?

I think we'll now walk to Ashford in the Water from Bakewell if you think it's walking distance but we are staying approx. 20 mins out of Bakewell town centre (heading in the Matlock direction). I'll check this on my map to get an idea of the walking time. Can I ask is the walk to Ashford in the Water very picturesque or is it actually Ashford in the Water which is more picturesque but I do know the Peak District is beautiful?

I'd heard about that pub (and the views) so will look to see exactly where it is in relation to our B&B and we could definitely include that as another walk - thank you.

I need to work out approximate walking times for these routes to see when it's best to fit them in as they do sound lovely.

Do you know a good walking route I could print out please of Monsal Trail starting from Bakewell please? I'm not even sure how long it would take to walk the whole route starting and finishing in Bakewell. If it's more than a 4-5 hour walk (including a couple of stops on the way) then we'll probably do a shorter version of it.

Thank you again for any advice you can share.

Mentioned in this post
Chatsworth House
Chatsworth House
7,015 Reviews
Bakewell, UK
The Bank
The Bank
537 Reviews
Bolton, UK
Monsal Trail
Monsal Trail
1,318 Reviews
Bakewell, UK
Bakewell
Bakewell
Matlock
Matlock
Derbyshire, UK
England
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,379 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Draft itinerary for four days in the Peak District

Out of interest, do you have the postcode of your accommodation as that might help us give you better advice.

Details of the Monsal Trail can be found here - peakdistrict.gov.uk/visiting/…monsaltrail. The easiest way to do part ofthe Monsal Trail walk from Bakewell is to catch bus 173 to Monsal Head, then walk back to Bakewell along the trail - see https://goo.gl/maps/mBCeDhw8yUC2 . However bus 173 no-longer runs on Sundays or public holidays so you could only do this on the Saturday - see derbysbus.info/times/…173H-180527.pdf .

Note that it would be fairly safe to move Haddon Hall to the Monday as it is on the eastern side of Bakewell and I doubt that many people would be there when it opens at 1030.

P-t-B

Mentioned in this post
Monsal Trail
Monsal Trail
1,318 Reviews
Bakewell, UK
Bakewell
Bakewell
Monsal Head Hotel
Monsal Head Hotel
467 Reviews
Bakewell, UK
Haddon Hall
Haddon Hall
1,471 Reviews
Bakewell, UK
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
486 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Draft itinerary for four days in the Peak District

Thank you for your reply.

The postcode of where I'm staying is DE45 1AW.

England
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,379 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Draft itinerary for four days in the Peak District

Ah - that is only a 10 minute walk into the town centre - and about a 30 minute stroll to Haddon Hall.

In answer to your question at Ashford, IMO it is the village of Ashford that is worth visiting, although I believe that the walk there along the river is pleasant on a nice day.

P-t-B

Edited: 10 August 2018, 02:56
Mentioned in this post
Haddon Hall
Haddon Hall
1,471 Reviews
Bakewell, UK
Ashford
Ashford
Kent, UK
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
11,587 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Draft itinerary for four days in the Peak District

Don't miss seeing the sheepwash bridge area of Ashford-in-the-Water. Bulls Head pub there is excellent for food (especially their sticky toffee pudding), the pub doesn't look much from outside but it's a fave for us.

Mentioned in this post
Derbyshire, England
Level Contributor
38 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Draft itinerary for four days in the Peak District

The Monsal trail is a linear route of about 9 miles from end to end. If you want to cover the whole length then bicycle is best. If you are happy completing just part then there are lots of options for walks that take in part of the trail and part of the dale. There are so wonderful places to visit around the area.

One of my favourites is walking to Monsal Head (pub opportunity) from Ashford via Pennyunck Lane, going down to to the trail and then back to Ashford across the fields

DE45 1AW is no further than 5 minutes from the town centre either via the park, or the main road

Mentioned in this post
Monsal Trail
Monsal Trail
1,318 Reviews
Bakewell, UK
Monsal Head Hotel
Monsal Head Hotel
467 Reviews
Bakewell, UK
Ashford
Ashford
Kent, UK
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
486 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Draft itinerary for four days in the Peak District

Thank you simsderbyshire for your reply.

Interestingly, following the great suggestions on here, on the Friday we were planning on walking from our B&B (DE45 1AW) to the Monsal Head Hotel and having a spot of lunch there (we weren't planning on making a reservation with it being a Friday unless you think we need to?) and we had thought of getting the 173 bus then to Ashford in the Water (however from what you've said it seems like going via Pennyunck Lane may be a nice walk (and it appears to be in walking distance from Monsal Head Hotel to Ashford in the Water).

We then were planning on getting the 173 bus from Ashford in the Water back to Bakewell catching either the 15:45 or the 17:04 hours bus.

We're also planning on walking to the Lathkil (from our B&B) on the Bank Holiday Sunday after we have visited Haddon Hall in the morning.

May I ask how long do you think people typically spend at Haddon Hall - approx. one and a half hours?

Thank you again for any advice.

Edited: 13 August 2018, 23:47
Mentioned in this post
Monsal Head Hotel
Monsal Head Hotel
467 Reviews
Bakewell, UK
Bakewell
Bakewell
The Lathkil Hotel
The Lathkil Hotel
200 Reviews
Over Haddon, UK
The Bank
The Bank
537 Reviews
Bolton, UK
Haddon Hall
Haddon Hall
1,471 Reviews
Bakewell, UK
England
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,379 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Draft itinerary for four days in the Peak District

There is another bus from Ashford to Bakewell that is more frequent than the 173 - it also stops closer to your accommodation. This is the Transpeak bus service and you can find the timetable here - www.highpeakbuses.com/transpeak .

Be aware that it is an uphill cross country walk to Over Haddon - at least Monsal Head to Ashford is down hill !

P-t-B

Mentioned in this post
Ashford
Ashford
Kent, UK
Bakewell
Bakewell
Over Haddon
Over Haddon
Bakewell, UK
Monsal Head Hotel
Monsal Head Hotel
467 Reviews
Bakewell, UK
Reply to: Draft itinerary for four days in the Peak District
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Peak District National...