We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

the bloomsbury

southport
Level Contributor
585 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
the bloomsbury

Hi we are thinking of booking the Bloomsbury in june for 2nts could somebody please tell me the distance from train station to this place and also bloomsbury to city centre thanks in advance any opinions on the bloomsbury would also be appreciated

Thanks Sheila&Chris

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,119 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: the bloomsbury

I don't know it myself, but Google Maps reckons it's about a half an hour walk away from the station. Looking at the map it does look a long way from everything.

york
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
713 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: the bloomsbury

hello

its a good trek from the railway station about a mile and a half, walking into town from the bloomsbury is fairly easy and i would say about a mile, you just come out of the hotel, turn right and follow the road (bootham) into the town centre.

what would put me off staying there is the fact that it's on a busy road junction near traffic lights with lots of stop start traffic noise but hey, maybe that's just me.

southport
Level Contributor
585 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: the bloomsbury

Thanks for reply have managed to get a room at the Queens hotel so we are now sorted

York
Level Contributor
38 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: the bloomsbury

Hi there - Steve here proprietor of The Bloomsbury. To follow up on some of the earlier points:

1. The Bloomsbury is a 12 minute straight walk into the city centre, and it's at the side of town closest to The Minster, Railway Museum, Yorkshire Museum and old town centre. There's a pleasant river walk that takes a little longer.

2.There's a short cut from the railway station to The Bloomsbury across the railway bridge footpath and up to Bootham. There is no need to go through the city centre.

3.Regarding proximity to traffic noise - all guest rooms are fitted with the best quality secondary glazing to complement the double glazing fitted to most guest rooms. The glazing was supplied by the company used to provide sound insulation glazing to Westminster Abbey and similar buildings of high architectural value in busy city centres. It should also be added that there is very limited traffic between 8pm and 7:30 am, and we've had no adverse comments about road noise.

4. Having been at The Bloomsbury for a little over 2 years, we are getting a significant amount of repeat business from guests who seem to appreciate what we have to offer. Many comment on the pleasant walk and approach into town which itself has significant historical importance.

5. Whilst there are some excellent Guest Houses closer into town, we do believe that overall our position adds to the charm and experience that we have to offer. The church opposite, the park and wooodland behind The Bloomsbury and the Green all add to the local environment where The Bloomsbury sits.

6. In addition we do have ample free private parking whereas many places closer to town tend to have only on-street permit parking.

-Hope this helps!

Steve

southport
Level Contributor
585 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: the bloomsbury

Thanks for your reply Steve as I have said we have now booked th e Queens hotel but will consider the Bloomsbury next time as we going racing every year thanks

scottsdale
Level Contributor
3 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: the bloomsbury

Just a suggestion. Since you are already in TripAdvisor why don't you just just check the responses for the Bloomsbury FROM PEOPLE WHO HAVE STAYED THERE? You would have found they are ranked 3 of 189 York B&B's and found out the opinions of people who actually stayed there.

Based on those opinions I am looking forward to staying there this May.

7. Re: the bloomsbury

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 March 2013, 14:50