We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

~How much MONEY should I bring for two week stay?

Boston...
Level Contributor
104 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
~How much MONEY should I bring for two week stay?

Will be going to UK for 10 days and France fro 5 days, how much money should I bring. I don't really plan on buying tons of stuff, other then the usual. Goodies for those back home. Some walking tours, Bath trip, river cruise, etc. I'm having a hard time deciding how much to have available. (I plan on using ATM) Help!

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,912 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ~How much MONEY should I bring for two week stay?

This really depends on your personal preferences! I usually plan on about $100 per day (around 50GBP) for food, snacks, etc. If you have breakfast included at your hotel, I usually plan on lunch for about 5 -12 GPB (sandwichs at Pret - a - Manger with coffee, water, and perhaps a desert! or a pub lunch!) and dinner for about 20GBP per person at a sit down cafe or restaurant. That is for a normal day out not including a pub visit for beer or anything to drink at a restaurant! To save money, you can eat a larger meal at lunch and smaller meals for dinner (sandwich from Marks & Spencers Food Court). Also, some of the pubs will offer food for dinner and they can be very reasonable. If you plan on $100 per day, you should have plenty left over for a nice restaurant, goodies for home, etc.

My nephew has gone to London and with a hotel that serves a full breakfast, has basically done the food thing for about 15 GBP per day or even less - lots of sandwiches!!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,262 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ~How much MONEY should I bring for two week stay?

The short answer is: plenty. Sorry.

If you're travelling on your own, you'll need between 60-90$ per night for accommodation that's not a dump (in London) unless you choose to stay in a hostel or similar. LondonLady's advice on eating cheaply was good, too - fill up on the breakfast if you can, and lunches out are always less pricey than dinners.

Getting from place to place is no longer cheap, but you can save money by buying a Travelcard for London, and checking rail fares or tour prices in advance. Train or coach fares aren't necessarily cheaper to book in advance (versus buying on the day of travel), it depends on where you're going to go.

I find France less expensive than England, but it all adds up. A one-day deal for travelling around Paris is the Mobilis - good for unlimited travel on Metro and buses for one day, and only 5.20euro for zones 1 and 2. Eating in France is such a delight, you can buy inexpensive grub and it tastes fantastic.

One hundred dollars a day is probably the minimum - but you can still have a wonderful trip on that. Hope it all goes well for you.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: ~How much MONEY should I bring for two week stay?

A lot!

Hope this doesn't offend anyone.

London, right now, is EXPENSIVE.

And as others have mentioned whatever your personal preferences will dictate what is needed to spend on dining, tours, admissipons, theater etc...

We always try to get a 'deal' on the basic trip, airfare, lodging and then spend what we have to spend. This year I purchased 100 pounds GBP as seed money in the States and used my ATM card to get cash when needed.

Our philisophy is when going on vacation we know it will cost money so we plan for the expenditures.

100 dollars per day sounds like a reasonable amount for Londomn, today. Some days it may be less, others more.

We always operate on the dictum, it's our vacation, lets have fun. Also, not that we are wealthy by any means, we spend what we have to spend and do not agonize over ever nickel and dime or should I say every 'hapenny and pence.

I understand your question, just wanted to give my personal point of view. Hope it helps.

Poppa

Taunton, United...
Level Contributor
525 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ~How much MONEY should I bring for two week stay?

Agree with the last post, London is expensive even more so because the exchange rate is not in your favour. Most things will be double the price, take double what you think you would need in say New York, converted into sterling. Most things that say cost 5 dollars our here cost 5 pounds in the UK. Hope this doesn't put you off! Have a great time.

Taunton, United...
Level Contributor
525 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ~How much MONEY should I bring for two week stay?

Forgot to add this... you will need more like 60-90 pounds sterling per night for accommodation. 60-90 dollars is only about 30-50 pounds - won't get you anything!

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,121 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ~How much MONEY should I bring for two week stay?

I apologise in advance for this. I know it is not relevant to the question but I sat next to an American architect on the bus into Tokyo once, who told me he allowed 1,000 US dollars a day while in Japan.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ~How much MONEY should I bring for two week stay?

We're going to be in London mid-May and I wonder how much money we need to bring. Our situation is a little different as we're staying with a family member who works for the palace so we'll get free admission passes for the castles, Royal Mews, Kew Gardens, etc.. We won't be eating out every single meal (mabye one every couple of days plus daily snacks) and we're not huge shoppers. How much we should be prepared to spend for a two week stay. We'd also like to do the Bath/Stonehenge/Windsor bus tour offered by Premium Tours. A two day trip to Paris (via cheap air) would also be ideal. It's hard to gauge because the GBP is 2.4 times higher than the Canadian dollar - YIKES! Thanks for any help you can give!

Boston...
Level Contributor
104 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ~How much MONEY should I bring for two week stay?

Thanks folks, I should have mentioned that we already have hotel taken care of. I need help on the rest, food, entertainment, and tours.

Colorado
Level Contributor
468 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: ~How much MONEY should I bring for two week stay?

You should be able to figure out set costs like trips, travel, theatre, etc then maybe use LondonLady's guide of $100 a day per person on top of that. Get out your calculator or Excel and start cranking numbers :-)

Over the Rainbow
Level Contributor
518 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: ~How much MONEY should I bring for two week stay?

You should be able to find prices for tours and such before you leave.

It is nearly impossible to give you an idea what you will spend without knowing what your tastes are. However, I agree with EastCoastBrit. Plan on lunch, dinner, etc, costing IN GBP what it would cost in a major, metropolitan area in the US in $$.