We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving late in Heathwor---too late to catch a train?

Michigan
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Arriving late in Heathwor---too late to catch a train?

Hello,

I'm arriving in Heathrow at 10:40pm on a Monday in October and am thinking about staying at a hotel very close to Paddington just for "easy sake". I have a limited amount of time in London as the main goal of my trip is to make my way to Manchester to see a friend. So I'm thinking Tuesday and maybe part of Wednesday in London and that's it.

That said, I'd love to make it to Paddington station on Monday night, but seeing as I'm arriving so late I'm not sure I can clear customs and get to the last train (which I think is at 11:30ish) in time?

Any insight? Maybe I should just stay by Heathrow then take an early train into the city the next day. Thanks for any advice.

PS: sorry about the title typo!

Edited: 20 September 2012, 20:49
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
664 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving late in Heathwor---too late to catch a train?

I think you're right, you'll probably miss the last train/Tube.

heathrowairport.com/transport-and-directions…

But since this still isn't really "late" late, I would press on into London. You can "feel" the city and when you wake up you'll be right there.

There is a night bus, the N9, that will take you from Heathrow to ... through West London, Kensington, Hyde Park, Trafalgar Sq, ending at Aldwych about 75 minutes later.

http://www.londonbusroutes.net/times/N009.htm

Rethink Paddington - it wouldn't necessarily have been the ideal spot for arriving via train from Heathrow anyway - but it won't help you leave from Euston.

So now you could look at hotels convenient for Euston, or convenient for arriving in the early hours in Kensington, St James, etc from the bus.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,228 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving late in Heathwor---too late to catch a train?

I assume you are arriving at T3 on the AA90 which is scheduled for 22.45? The airport is quiet at that time of night and you should (should not will!) be through immigration and in the arrivals hall within 30-40 minutes of touchdown.

The last Heathrow Express departure is at 23.48 and as it's only a five minute walk from the arrivals hall in T3 to the station then you should get the last train or even the one before it as long as the flight lands on time. The last tube (slightly longer walk from T3 and a much longer if much cheaper journey to central London) also leaves about that time so you could consider somewhere like South Kensington as an alternative neighbourhood to Paddington.

Considering the hassle and cost of getting from T3 to an airport hotel (there are none attached to T3) then I think you should stay in London as long as you are prepared to take a taxi (£60-£70) should you be delayed for any reason.

Michigan
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving late in Heathwor---too late to catch a train?

Thanks all! Yes, arriving on AA90 from Chicago, exactly right adamhornets. The only reason I picked Paddington was because I found what looks to be a relatively clean hotel for 70 pounds, the Stylotel (http://www.stylotel.com/gallery/).

By all means, if there are suggestions on a more convenient, relatively similar budget (yet clean) hotel...I would LOVE to hear them!

Thanks again, this place rocks!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
664 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriving late in Heathwor---too late to catch a train?

I cede to Adam's more optimistic view, but with the bus as backup rather than a taxi - but that depends on your budget and personal taste.

To plan:

The train would take you to Paddington. If I were to stay in that area I would probably take a taxi to Euston for the onward trip.

The Tube would take you along the Piccadilly Line, you might find hotels to suit anywhere from Earls Court to Kings Cross - with fewer in the middle. You could pick one that is convenient for getting the tube to Euston (Northern or Victoria lines) or even walking. (I assume that if you could stay at one of the Park Lane hotels near Green Park station you wouldn't be slogging it on the tube to Euston)

The bus would take you to the South Kensington area,, which is a plausible place to stay, and on through Trafalgar Square and Charing Cross. You might get a place near there but either way they should both be well-lighted areas where you can get a cab on to say Bloomsbury/Covent Garden where there are a choice of hotels.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,228 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arriving late in Heathwor---too late to catch a train?

Part of your problem will be finding anywhere decent for that budget. There are certainly a few around Earls Court but most are less than salubrious. Kings Cross has more options but if things go wrong it's too far away from where the night bus goes and therefore another £15 or so for a taxi.

On this occasion I'd be tempted to stick with the Stylotel (look at The Rhodes as well) and take the HEX.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
24,288 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Arriving late in Heathwor---too late to catch a train?

Nothing wrong with Paddington. Though you might have to settle for fast food at that time. Take the 205 bus across.

www.heathrowconnect.com

www.heathrowexpress.com

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
664 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Arriving late in Heathwor---too late to catch a train?

The reviews definitely focus on the cleanliness, so you seem to have that taken care of at the Stylotel. All those hard plastic surfaces are probably easy to sanitize. I note they have 24 hour reception, but you can't get food until 7:00 a.m.

I did a quick search and didn't come up with any remarkable alternatives, so have fun being stylish in Paddington.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,228 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arriving late in Heathwor---too late to catch a train?

Not sure where food came into this thread. Plenty of fast food places in and around Paddington station open till late should the OP be peckish.

Michigan
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Arriving late in Heathwor---too late to catch a train?

Thanks all. From what I could tell, I could access the Tube at Paddington, and I'm fine with traveling a ways to see the things I want to see. I'm not worried about food at 11:30....I'll probably just want a bed at that time. That'll be a long day of travel.

Seriously thank you all for the help. Looks like if I don't catch the train, the bus will serve me just fine.

10. Re: Arriving late in Heathwor---too late to catch a train?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 December 2013, 15:46