We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sim for UK & Europe

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
9,426 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Sim for UK & Europe

Hi guys, anyone know of a sim that can be purchased for use in UK, Netherlands, France & Italy? I'm not interested in data, just for calls.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,423 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sim for UK & Europe

Hi,

You could always look at phone / sim sites (google is your friend). Almost all sims will work in those countries.

What you want to worry about is cost, eg roaming charges; etc.

Try Carphone Warehouse, vodaphone, 3, orange/tmobile, O2 etc.

UK
Level Contributor
49,562 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sim for UK & Europe

Try Lebara. I believe carphonewarehouse sell them.

Illinois
Level Contributor
15,686 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sim for UK & Europe

You may need more than one depending on where you are calling. I got a Lebara card from Carphone Warehouse in the UK which had good rates for calling within the UK and back to the US, but if I wanted to use it in Germany to call the US, the rate went up to 1.49 GBP/min.

4. Re: Sim for UK & Europe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 04 November 2012, 06:05
Tonbridge, United...
Level Contributor
832 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sim for UK & Europe

Things are not quite so expensive these days for those travelling with a European Union SIM within the EU.

By law roaming charges have been capped. Operators may charge no more than 29p per minute to make calls and 7p per minute to receive. Texts are capped at 8p.

So if you get a UK sim calls will cost less than that.

If you use the same sim in EU countries (not Turkey for example) the costs will be as above.

If you use the same SIM in non EU countries (USA, Turkey, ...) calls the costs will be considerably more.

If you use a non EU sim (from the USA for example) in the EU, the costs will not be capped and will be very expensive.

It's a pain, but it is always cheaper to use a local sim. My advice is to get a lebarra sim in the country where you are staying. But if you are only going to be there a couple of days... switch your phone off and don't bother. The world won't end! Use free wifi to check email and leave it at that :)

London, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sim for UK & Europe

lebarra and giff gaff

Illinois
Level Contributor
15,686 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sim for UK & Europe

When was the cap imposed? Is the 29p per minute just for calls within the EU? I just ask because I bought the card I was talking about above in July 2012, so not very long ago.

Tonbridge, United...
Level Contributor
832 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sim for UK & Europe

The EU ruling came into force on July 1st

moneysavingexpert.com/news/phones/2012/05/eu…

Illinois
Level Contributor
15,686 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sim for UK & Europe

Interesting. I can't log in to my UK SIM for some reason, but my German SIM from Lebara is still quoting €0.34/min for roaming from zone 1 to zone 1 (which I think includes all the EU countries, although I didn't check them off individually) and €1.49/min from zone 1 to zone 2 (which includes the US). I wonder if Lebara has not updated their rates or if they are violating the law. I don't know what they would have charged me as I never called the US with the SIM as I didn't want to pay €1.49/min.

lebara.de/medias/sys_master/8863768936478.pdf

The generic UK rates are shown as £0.28 within zone 1 and £2.99 from zone 1 to zone 3. (Which includes the US on the UK website.

http://www.lebara.co.uk/roaming-rates

The link from Itsmeagain2 quotes the prices in €, so I'm not sure what the conversion would be. Maybe the law only applies to calls within the EU? Although I didn't see that in the article.

The French site quotes similar numbers.

http://www.lebara.fr/prepaye/tarifs

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
353 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sim for UK & Europe

Earlier this year I bought a very cheap phone at Carphone Warehouse with a Lebara sim. I used it in UK and France, it also had very cheap calls back to Oz.