We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London In October

South Portland...
Level Contributor
93 posts
34 reviews
London In October

My husband and I are visiting London in late October. I have been before several times, but this will be his first visit. we will have 5 days before heading north to see our daughter in Scotland. I have stayed in the Kensington and Paddington Station areas before but am thinking a more central location in the City for him. He is a huge history buff and I would love to step out the door of the hotel and have him see historic London. I love the area around St. Paul's, also Trafalgar Square, but I am open to anything, especially if a tube station is close.

Any suggestions of historic sites that we might otherwise not know about or miss would be appreciated as well- especially if they are military related.

London
Level Contributor
283 posts
99 reviews
1. Re: London In October

The Grange City Hotel in Cooper's Row is adjacent to the Tower of London and I imagine you can request a room with a tower view. The Grange Chain also has a hotel in Goodliman Street called Grange St Paul's and I've stayed in this one myself, although my room looked out onto the atrium. I think some rooms must have had very good views of the cathedral, but I expect you must specifically request one.

There are a number of hotels close to Trafalgar Square such as the Horseguards, St Martin’s and Corinthia but I’m not at all sure if there is a view of the Square from their rooms. The only military themed hotel I know of is the Rubens in Buckingham Palace Road which is just across from the Palace. I once went to a reception there a few years back and there were military paintings and memorabilia everywhere, but best to check if they’ve changed their décor since I was there (lol).

London
Level Contributor
2,088 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: London In October

Would this be anything to do with the match between the St Louis Rams and the New England Patriots at Wembley Stadium on 28 October? Or the Star Trek Convention a week earlier? www.startreklondon.com

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,407 posts
41 reviews
3. Re: London In October

Bankside Premier Inn would be a good location - great walk East to London Bridge, Borough Market, Southwark Cathedral, Borough High Street - George Inn, + views of St Paual from the river.

Other areas you may enjoy are Lincoln's Inn + Temple - off the Strand - legal centre of London + more like a Cambridge College. Another is Spitalfields - Georgian terrace house on the edge of the City + close to Brick Lane for its currys!

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
23,940 posts
77 reviews
4. Re: London In October

You don't say what budget you have in mind. Assuming you mean central London generally, not just the City (Square Mile); have a look at the Park Plazas, County Hall or Westminster Bridge, or the Marriott. Some rooms have spectacular views of the Houses of Parliament. Access to tube stations (Waterloo or Westminster) and rail, tons of bus routes make the rest of London and the South East a doddle.

You could also look at the London Bridge area - again excellent transport links, walkable to the Tower and the CIty, Borough Market, and the South Bank. There is the Hilton Tower Bridge, the London Bridge hotel and a Premier Inn.

If you want to stay in the vicinity of St Paul's there is a Grange St Paul's (vastly better than the other Granges) very nearby; or by the Tower there are several hotels: another newer Grange, a Novotel, an Apex and the Doubletree Tower Hill.

Finally you could look at Apex Temple Court - less than 10 minutes' walk from either the West End/Covent Garden and in the other direction St Paul's, on Fleet St, itself a major thoroughfare in London's history.

Edited: 17 August 2012, 21:10
South Portland...
Level Contributor
93 posts
34 reviews
5. Re: London In October

No, not huge NFL fans. But if it was the Blues vs the Bruins we would be there. Hope that doesn't mean there will be thousands of crazy football people there.

South Portland...
Level Contributor
93 posts
34 reviews
6. Re: London In October

We are pretty flexible on the budget, but since it is just the two of us and my hope is to spend most time out and about, I don't feel the need to spend a lot on a room. A gym would be nice but not necessary, close to someplace we can sit and have tea in the morning, close to the T. Bathroom in the room but doesn't have to be a large and fancy room i.e. "American" style hotel. We prefer smaller, unique hotels, even if you know a small studio apartment setting where we can feed ourselves for the time in London. My husband does require a TV, just has to have his daily news fix.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,892 posts
108 reviews
7. Re: London In October

If you are heading north try a bit of a detour to the Duxford Imperial War Museum near Cambridge which has one of the largest collections of military vehicles from planes to small naval vessels housed in huge hangars, a 'must-do' for anyone who is mad about military history.

And you could then pop into nearby Cambridge for lunch/dinner for which I would suggest 'The Eagle' pub, where Crick and Watson first announced their discovery of DNA.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
23,940 posts
77 reviews
8. Re: London In October

Have you tried any of the suggestions already given?

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,892 posts
108 reviews
9. Re: London In October

Premier Inns have several hotels in London, check this link http://www.premierinn.com/ and will be situated near to tube stations as well as some being pretty close to historic sites. Have stayed in a Premier Inn myself and found it comfortable and clean with all the facilities I needed though I am not sure if there was a TV, also breakfast and other meals are served in Premier Inns and the food isn't bad but it is extra and not in with the price.

Certainly these hotels are usually good value for money with discounts often available.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
208 reviews
10. Re: London In October

Apparently every year there is an American Football match at Wembley, but it has no impact on most people in London at all. So don'y worrry about that. It is just one of those strange events that happens in that happen in that particular suburb far to the north west.