We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Houses Of Parliament - Is It Worth Touring?

Colorado
Level Contributor
313 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Houses Of Parliament - Is It Worth Touring?

or better to just see it from the outside?

Is it something an American would appreciate? Is it worth the time to see or are we better visiting other attractions?

Do I have to get tickets way in advance or can I get them them when we walk up ?

Where do we get tickets & how much are they?

Hebden Bridge...
Level Contributor
810 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Houses Of Parliament - Is It Worth Touring?

If it's the kind of thing you like, then yes, it is worth it. If not, then it isn't. Some Americans might, some might not. Difficult to generalise, really.

It's been many years since I've been though. I seem to recall just going in with a guide, no advance booking. But as I say, that was some time ago.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,389 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Houses Of Parliament - Is It Worth Touring?

Perhaps one of you could do the outside, the other the inside?

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,099 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Houses Of Parliament - Is It Worth Touring?

parliament.uk/visiting/…

These are the details for overseas visitors, with a link to the Ticketmaster site for obtaining tickets. Most visitors who report back here seem to have enjoyed their visit, regardless of nationality.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,666 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Houses Of Parliament - Is It Worth Touring?

<i>Perhaps one of you could do the outside, the other the inside?</i>

I've heard of that happening with them comparing notes later.

London UK
Level Contributor
2,562 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Houses Of Parliament - Is It Worth Touring?

Yes, it is well worthwhile visiting the Mother or Parliaments with all its incredible Pugin interior decoration. It is centred on the two chambers with their respective lobbies with the lobby of the Houses of Parliament between them. Be slightly bemused as to why there are two dull red lines in the carpet in the chamber of the Commons and that the Lord Chancellor, or Speaker of the House of Lords, sits on a sack of wool. If there is one room in a Royal Palace where the Monarch is totally forbidden to enter, then it is the chamber of the House of Commons. We have 650 MPs but only seats for 450 and there is very good logic for such an arrangement. The Great Hall of Westminster dates back to 1097 and has had an impact on the country’s history ever since. It was and still is a Royal Palace. In the first few centuries of its life it would have towered over the one storied buildings surrounding it and such would have been a major means of power projection in the area, as indeed were other cathedrals, palaces and castles built in the first couple of centuries in the last millennium.

The law courts started in the Great Hall and the system of law it engendered spread across the world, including the USA.

A succession of USA Presidents, most recently President Barack Obama, have delivered addresses to both Houses of Parliament in the Great Hall and have been mightily honoured to have had the privilege to make such an address there.

Sure, you can see the Houses of Parliament from the outside, but being shown around inside by an enthusiastic but highly knowledgeable guide must be one of the highlights of a visit to London.

Nijmegen...
Level Contributor
3,374 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Houses Of Parliament - Is It Worth Touring?

It was one of the highlights of my trip last July. I thought it was interesting to hear about the parliament, the proceedings, the history and the monarchs role but what really blew me away was the interior. In some rooms I wonder if there was a cm of walls, floors&ceiling that they'd left uncovered.

Plus its just really cool to be able to stand in the room you've seen in tv so much! And I love the voting system

The only letdown where the ugly 80's style off white plastic telephones :)

Preston
Level Contributor
481 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Houses Of Parliament - Is It Worth Touring?

"Is it something an American would appreciate?"

Gosh, what an interesting question, I attempted an answer but I really didn't know where to start however I may set it for my students, so thank you.

Colorado
Level Contributor
313 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Houses Of Parliament - Is It Worth Touring?

"Gosh, what an interesting question, I attempted an answer but I really didn't know where to start however I may set it for my students, so thank you."

Parliament isn't something I know much about. That's probably a good thing

in touring a place where I can learn something new, however my comment is based more on the idea on if I may find it a bit of a bore. No offense.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
2,834 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Houses Of Parliament - Is It Worth Touring?

Yes. It was memorable and worth it to me. I would like to visit again....

Preston
Level Contributor
481 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Houses Of Parliament - Is It Worth Touring?

Absolutely no offence intended or taken, I really did consider it an interesting question, I really did begin to answer it too but got wound up in the divine right of kings, the influence of Charles Stuart’s decapitation on the enlightenment and the upheaval of the traditional social hierarchy, which certainly took root in America and set the political ethic that allegedly ontinues to lie at the heart of political social values in the United States .

At the very least had colonists been represented here in the parliaments of the middle 1700s (rather than just taxed by them) we may be looking a very different world but of course you personally are entitled to find the whole affair tedious and even if you were interested in politics this is simply a structure.

Also this is a travel forum not a political one – so I’ll get to the point, if you’re not interested in political history or the often contrived tradition of the place or its mishmash of architectural styles – it’s not worth visiting.

Edited: 05 May 2012, 06:57