We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Black Nightclubs in London

New Haven...
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Topic
Black Nightclubs in London

Me and my girlfriend will be in London for 4 days (9/1-9/5) and are trying to figure out what section of town are the Black (Hip-Hop) clubs located in? Though we haven't booked our hotel as of yet, more than likely where going to end up in either the Mayfair/Soho or Notting Hill area of the city. Is there any type of venues in these or immediate surrounding areas that have what were looking for in terms of nightlife? Thanks in Advance

1. Re: Black Nightclubs in London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 04 April 2012, 09:05
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Black Nightclubs in London

viewlondon.co.uk/clubs/hip-hop-nights-at-lon…

visitlondon.com/events/…hip-hop

http://www.timeout.com/london

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,331 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Black Nightclubs in London

There's no single hip-hop "area" as such so wherever you stay won't have much bearing on your nights out, I know there's a couple of places around Hoxton and Shoreditch (and even Bow, where English grime was born) but that shouldn't stop you staying in say, Soho. Notting Hill is no good for any sort of music with ethinic and urban roots though, it's very straight laced and well off so the nightlife is pretty middle of the road, pubs and bars with a couple of clubs that are "ambient house" types so it's not an area I'd recommend for hip-hop.

Londonlass's links are as good a guide as you'll find, Timeout is London's nightlife events listings bible and as you'll see from that, particular niches of music are always dotted around.

The nearest area you'd get to a musical centre that's set predominantly in black and / or urban culture would still be Brixton, it's mainly drum and bass, garage and grime rather than purely hip hop. And it's somewhere you'd travel to for a night rather than stay as a tourist. I gather that Dalston is also a big hotspot for grime and garage so anywhere in the listings provided that is in Dalston should give you a night out that's up your street, again it's not somewhere to stay for the week given that there's not really any hotels there.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
299 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Black Nightclubs in London

Funny this question came up. When Hubby and I first looked into our trip to London some years back, we were looking for the same 'atmosphere', and I asked a similar question. With our 1st time in London and not really knowing the cultural background, we decided to ask the locals.

What we found intriguing is that they *all* said the same thing as Canucks..There isn't a real 'hip hop' area. We were a little sadden because this is what we know..Especially in Atlanta, you can visit various type of genre clubs/nightlife.

With that being said most of the recommendations to us was that if we really wanted to experience hip hop, we'd have to travel south to Croydon. Here would be where majority of the 'hip hop' crowd you seek will be.

Good luck. One word of advice, go to London with an open mind. Don't look for the familiar you can find back at home. We went to several night spots and enjoyed ourselves thoroughly with a mixture of genres.

Enjoy London!

Tish

London
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Black Nightclubs in London

One of my favourite venues for Hip hop is actually the Notting Hill Arts Club.

New Haven...
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Black Nightclubs in London

@ Tish for the most part we are both very transient and can operate in any kinda of atmosphere that we're placed in, but after visiting San Francisco a couple of months ago, I felt the need to pose this question since that was the first major city that I been too that had no real "black culture" (Apples & Oranges between the two cities, but valid in my eyes nevertheless).

We're only going to be in London for 4 days before sliding down to Paris so were just trying to maximize our time. For at least for one night though, we want to be around a predominately black crowd since we know that theoretically, we won't be exposed to that kind of atmosphere since everything we hear about the city's nightlife hinges on its "diversity".

It's still hard to imagine though that there aren't many/any "black" clubs in the city since it's such a huge place and it gets compared a lot to NYC. Mid-town Manhattan has a ton of clubs that have a mostly black crowd so I just assumed London wouldn't really be that much different (Maybe it's not and I've been mis-informed).

Anyway, what could be poppin' today could be dead weight bout time we get out there in September, so I guess I'll repost the question again around Mid-August when I'll be two weeks out from my trip. Still, all input and ideas are appreciated.

@ LondonFlare, I read a couple reviews about that place (Notting Hill Arts Club) and it seems to be something we'll be interested in doing. Thanks for the suggestion.

@ Canuck Traveler, first and foremost, shout out to Pavel Bure who's still my favorite Hockey Player till this day, lol 2nd, Spots like Brixton and Hoxton, how far are they from Central London (Mayfair area) since that's where more than likely we'll be staying. My only concern with going to spots too far outside of the city is getting back to our hotel late at night (i.e. 4:00 in the morning or so) since I know you guys subway system doesn't run all night like NYC.

Again, thanks for all the input guys (& gals).

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,055 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Black Nightclubs in London

Night buses and those with 24h service pick up the slack after the Undergroun stops at about 0030. Hoxton isn't far from central London, Brixton just a bit further, with at least four buses to and from the areas through the night.

There may be a handful of 'black clubs' in Dalston (to echo CT72), which has a fairly substantial African population. Ridley Road Market, starting just opposite Dalston Kingsland Overground station (Dalston Junction station is a five minute walk as well) might be worth a visit.

There's not a lot of specificity to areas like Dalston, though, where in a short stretch of road you can find a Turkish ocakbasi grill, Oxfam charity shop, Caribbean cafe, internet cafe with a strong sideline in money transfers to west Africa and a London caff that's been serving fryup meals for 50 years to the locals, who've been there almost that long. Ten minutes on the bus will take you to a stretch of road that's lined with Vietnamese restos and cafes; another five minutes to office towers and business types.

New Haven...
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Black Nightclubs in London

@ TravellerPlus, so in theory, I better know exactly where I'm going before I go out since walking around these neighborhoods at night in attempts to find one spot "better" than the next is pretty much null and void since there is no true "club district"?

I just wish the subway system out there ran 24 hours like NYC or Chicago. It's one thing to wait for a train in the middle of the night, but waiting on the corner for a bus for an unspecified amount of time doesn't appeal to me. I might just have to suck it up that particular evening and pop off on a cab.

Thanks again for everything TravellerPlus. Your definintely one of the posters I look to for information in regards to London.

London
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Black Nightclubs in London

Well the Black community in London is a lot smaller than NYC. Another thing to consider is that in the West End (especially Leicester Square) has a lot of more commercial hip hop and RnB clubs. I would say these clubs are predominantly mixed but have a particular high Asian proportion (Asian in the UK tends to be Indian Sub-continent).

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,331 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Black Nightclubs in London

There *is* a club district, it's pretty much the whole West End. But I think that LondonFlare brings up the overriding point... that club crowds (in the central areas) are far more mixed than they are in NY. London isn't NY and cultures are different, so here you won't really hear of black clubs, white clubs, hispanic clubs etc as such as it sort of carries negative connotations and maybe suggests that some groups are less welcome than others. Go to any club, and you'll have mixed groups and mixed music although R+B has been flavour of the month for a good while now and that sort of music will dominate the commercial clubs around Leicester Square and Soho.

I gathered that you were looking for a specific sub culture, i.e. hip hop, and the places to find niches like that have been mentioned so if that's still the case then yes you're right that you might have to know where you're going before you set off.