We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Paddington Station from St Pancras

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Paddington Station from St Pancras

I'll be arriving at London St Pancras via Eurostar in June & need to get to Paddington to catch a train to Newport, Wales.

From my research, it seems the best way is to catch the Tube from Kings Cross to Paddington.

How long should I allow from arrival at London St Pancras to get to Paddington?

Thanks in anticipation.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,590 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Paddington Station from St Pancras

The tube should take around 10-12 minutes. That would be the Circle or Hammersmith & City line service towards Hammersmith (both lines use the same platform). There are about 25-30 stairs up from the platform at Paddington, then a couple down, a ramp and a 5 minute walk to the front of the station concourse. So allow 20 minutes for the journey, and double that time to also allow you to orientate yourself at St. Pancras and buy tube tickets.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,909 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Paddington Station from St Pancras

If you don't fancy wrangling bags up stairs at Paddington, take the 205 bus from stop A, just across the road from St Pancras station.

Travel time could be a bit longer, depending on time of day and traffic in Euston Road, but it's a step free journey and will let you see a bit of London en route. tfl.gov.uk/tfl/…kingscross-2150.pdf

Alight at Praed Street. Cross the road and you'll see a ramp (not too steep) sloping down to the entrance to Paddington rail station. The ticket office is near platform 1 at the far end of the station.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Paddington Station from St Pancras

Thanks. I was thinking of allowing an hour so that seems to be plenty.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Paddington Station from St Pancras

Thanks Traveller. That also sounds like a good option altho we should only have 1 wheeled case each.

I am told that it may be best to book the whole journey from Paris to Newport in one booking & that would include the tube component. I'll investigate.

Thanks again.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,866 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Paddington Station from St Pancras

>>> I am told that it may be best to book the whole journey from Paris to Newport in one booking & that would include the tube component. I'll investigate. <<<

That is true, I think you just go to the staffed ticket barrier when you enter and leave the Underground and they open it manually for you. Also, if your Eurostar is delayed and you get the ticket endorsed, you can travel on a later train to Newport than the one you were booked on.

Edited: 10 March 2012, 16:51
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Paddington Station from St Pancras

Thanks WW.

Do you know where I can book such tickets. I tried RailEurope without success. I got a message saying something about booking rips with more than 2 components sometimes requires booing the components separately.

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
2,082 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to Paddington Station from St Pancras

www.eurostar.com is Eurostar's own site. I've just looked at the Eurostar site and it talks about booking from your local UK station but not the other way round which seems odd.

you might find www.seat61.com a useful read.

Edited: 11 March 2012, 01:52
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to Paddington Station from St Pancras

Thanks Marmot. I'll check them out.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
25,164 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting to Paddington Station from St Pancras

I'm with TP on the 205 bus as I tend to avoid the subterranean enclaves. For the train try this site,

wwwseat61.com

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting to Paddington Station from St Pancras

Thanks. I'll try it.