We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brick Lane Curry Houses

leeds
Level Contributor
38 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Brick Lane Curry Houses

Any recommendations please for curry houses on Brick Lane?

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brick Lane Curry Houses

Recommendation is to avoid them, they are rubbish. If you want one in the general area, Herb & Spice on White's Row is quite good, also keep in mind Cafe Spice Namaste and Tayyabs.

P.S. Everything in central London will be rubbish compared to Bradford unless you go to modern high-end places.

Edited: 25 June 2011, 20:47
London, United...
Level Contributor
8,018 posts
526 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brick Lane Curry Houses

I agree to avoid the brick lane curry houses and you can go to Cafe Namaste. I visited Tayyabs few months back and I was very disappointed with the restaurant. If you are coming by car then you can get good curry houses in Southall, Wembley and Kingsbury.

Check this thread out about Indian restaurants

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k457…

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
232 posts
572 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brick Lane Curry Houses

Went to Brick Lane on Friday; all of the menus look the same, all of the restaurants try to pull you in off the street, the restaurants are pretty oriented towards cheap, cheap, cheap. Not good signs, and though I'm sure there are great places, I didn't find one, and the Indian food I had in other neighborhoods was typically excellent.

leeds
Level Contributor
38 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brick Lane Curry Houses

Seems like I'm barking up the wrong tree! Thanks for the posts.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
2,822 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brick Lane Curry Houses

I'm sure this was only discussed recently.

In answer to to the OP - No.

Tourist traps:

1. Brick Lane

2. Drummond St.

If you want decent Indian food go out to:

1. Wembley/Kenton

2. Southall

3. Hounslow

(in any order - all have good resto's.

Southall can be reached via Paddington mainline and the others can be reached via tube)

(IMO).

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
12,876 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Brick Lane Curry Houses

Brick Lane is worth a stroll just to see how tacky it is. I wouldn't eat there any more, although I was a regular in the 80's when it was a bit of a secret.

There's better areas to have a good curry as others have mentioned, but there are a few stand out ones in the more touristy areas like the Rajasthan near the Monument and the Strand Tandoori in Covent Garden. Unpretentious, standard curry houses doing excellent food for reasonable prices.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,396 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Brick Lane Curry Houses

> I visited Tayyabs few months back and I was very disappointed with the restaurant <

Oh, that's sad to read. It had a reputation of being pretty good.

> oriented towards cheap, cheap, cheap. Not good signs, <

Nothing wrong with being cheap. Back in the glory days (say, the mid 1980s) Brick Lane had rock bottom prices and great food.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
232 posts
572 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Brick Lane Curry Houses

Cheap is great, if it happens to be good. I'm sorry I didn't experience Brick Lane when it was both.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Brick Lane Curry Houses

I also heard from another recent visitor to Tayyabs that they were disappointed, maybe it's starting to go downhill? Need to go back to Herb and Spice soon just to make sure it isn't headed in that direction.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,018 posts
526 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Brick Lane Curry Houses

I agree Tayyabs was very good few years back. We have had few delicious Take away from Tayyabs when I worked in the City.

After recommending Tayyabs on here many times, I was very excited to eat there but on my second visit there it was most disappointing on all counts.

In fact I had better meal at Brick lane curry house little while ago. At least the service was excellent and better ambience.

My local curry houses on Kingsbury/ Queensbury have excellent service, food to die for at much less cost.

Here is my link to my review to Tayyabs.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g186338-d7…