We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying a disposable cell phone upon arrival in U.K.

Victoria, B.c.
Level Contributor
1 post
19 reviews
Save Topic
Buying a disposable cell phone upon arrival in U.K.

Will be arriving in Southampton from the Queen Mary II and want a disposable cell for the next six weeks only to be used in England, Scotland and France. Can you advise on following qwuestions:

1. Where to buy one immediately - in Southampton?

2. Cost.

3. Can calls be made back to Canada?

4. Expensive long distance?

5. Expense within U.K. etc.

Thanks.

Val.

valgee@shaw.ca

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,914 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying a disposable cell phone upon arrival in U.K.

Rather than buy a 'disposable' phone, do consider recycling the phone when you've finished using it; see the links below for companies which will do the business for you.

I've stuck with Virgin for mobile use, and pay 20p a minute for calls to Canada, although sometimes I think I'm charged a bit less than that. Calls within the UK will vary from one provider to another (my calls to other Virgin phones are free); have a look at www.lycamobile.co.uk and www.lebara-mobile.co.uk for very low rates.

Check for a Carphone Warehouse, Argos or Phones4U outlet in Southampton. If there isn't a shop handy in Southampton then you'll find plenty of them from which to choose in London.

Ensure you buy a phone that will work in France - ask before purchasing. Handsets are available from about a fiver (with the purchase of £10 of credit) and usually come charged and ready to go.

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=mobile+phone+recycling+uk&meta=&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying a disposable cell phone upon arrival in U.K.

TP its about time you got one of the various SIMS which will give you calls back home at 4-5p a minute, eh ? :-)

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,108 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying a disposable cell phone upon arrival in U.K.

If you have a Duel/Quad band phone you could get it unlocked so you would only need a sim card for UK and again France.

I use Tesco mobile which operates on the 02 network at a lower price. There is a tesco store in Dibden, across the water from the East docks.

http://www.tesco.com/mobilenetwork/

Edited: 20 March 2010, 02:02
Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
190 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying a disposable cell phone upon arrival in U.K.

If you have a tri-band cell phone make sure it’s unlocked and buy a sim card when you get to England.

If you don’t, after you arrive and get away from the big city stop in a village and see if they have a Carphone Warehouse (most do) and buy a Pay As You Go cell phone with a sim card. My phone was £5.00 GBP and I put £20 GBP on it. I still had £10 GBP or so after three weeks.

L.A. 'burbs, CA
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying a disposable cell phone upon arrival in U.K.

Valda - If you end up buying a new Virgin phone and don't wish to keep it after your trip I may be interested in purchasing it from you when you return. I am going to London in September and it would be nice to have a 2nd phone all set up before I go (already have a new Virgin SIM).

Don't hesitate to PM me when you return if interested. Have a great trip! :)

london
Level Contributor
416 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying a disposable cell phone upon arrival in U.K.

tesco mobile (tesco supermarket) calls back to Canada £1 for 5 minutes many place sell phones cheapest cost from about £5-£10 but other networks if calling home costs a lot more depends what you want the phone for really so if its calls within the UK go for T-Mobile but there is not a lot in it

Newport, United...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying a disposable cell phone upon arrival in U.K.

Asda have very cheap mobile phones in most stores .These are not sold as disposable but may as well be. They claim not to lock there handsets so any 2g UK SIM (not 3 mobile) will slot into it. The phone will come with a uk SIM on Asda's own network . Asda's own service plan is relativity competitive.

My sister had a French Pre pay SIM card for a while in her Nokia so it works and the SIM should be easy to pick up in Newsagents etc.

For any International calls try Lebara or Nomi (on sale in Asda or almost any phone shop, or newsagent with an international customer base)

http://www.asdamobile.com/

As for disposal please recycle responsibly or leave it in a pub...

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buying a disposable cell phone upon arrival in U.K.

Try Roam Mobility. It is a Vancouver company. Great roaming rates. SIM card or phone options. Comes with a UK phone number and a USA number too.

London, England
Level Contributor
1,319 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buying a disposable cell phone upon arrival in U.K.

Google 'O2 International SIM' it seems a decent deal. I'm sure I also saw something about Vodafone offering something similar on a poster the other day.

As stated Lebara and Nomi are also decent.

You will be able to buy sim cards on your home eBay site if you want the convenience of knowing your number before you get here.

Many charity shops will recycle your phone for you. Pop into one and they will probably give you an envelope to send it off.

For France either get a French sim or restrict your calls as you will be roaming from the UK, plus you will pay to receive calls. TBH when I go abroad I never get a foreign sim but am very concious of making calls.

London
Level Contributor
717 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Buying a disposable cell phone upon arrival in U.K.

'These are not sold as disposable but may as well be.'

I've never seen mobiles in the UK sold as 'disposable' and must say I find it a peculiar concept. Or are 'disposable' cell phones in the US/Canada so called because they can't be topped up once the credit on them has been used?