We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Windsor castle vs Buckingham Palace vs Kensington Palace

Cali
Level Contributor
98 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Windsor castle vs Buckingham Palace vs Kensington Palace

I'm a solo traveler on a budget. Will be in London for a couple of days before my actual tour western europe - paris, switz, rome, venice.

I just checked the prices for each royal residence & found that:

Buckingham = 17GBP

Kensington = 12GBP

Windsor = 60GBP (this is a day trip tour including Bath & Stonehenge, but i can get a cheaper price for Bath & Stonehenge only if Windsor is not a must see).

My question is, among the three which one is a MUST SEE?

Thanks in advance for the help!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Windsor castle vs Buckingham Palace vs Kensington Palace

Windsor is easy to do on your own,as is Kensington Palace.

what month are you going? Buckingham palace tours are conducted only during summer months. no contest here,see all three.

Cali
Level Contributor
98 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Windsor castle vs Buckingham Palace vs Kensington Palace

april 17-20, then may 1

SYD-LON-MUC
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance, Richmond, Bondi, Katoomba
Level Contributor
4,122 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Windsor castle vs Buckingham Palace vs Kensington Palace

yep no contest... correct...

but if had to choose I would probably leave out Kensington.

I wouldn't be able to decide between Buckingham and Windsor...

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
11,849 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Windsor castle vs Buckingham Palace vs Kensington Palace

I took an American friend to Windsor and we thought it was an excellent day out. I went to Buckingham Palace and thought it was rather dull.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Windsor castle vs Buckingham Palace vs Kensington Palace

Well you wont be going inside buck palace anyway as its not open when you are there. So either take the whole tour that includes windsor, or just visit Windsor castle on its own for (at a guess) 2/3 teh tour price, but purely on a basis of how much you see for that £60 the tour will give you a glimpse of two iconic British sites and a pretty town - in a very rushed and long day.

Kensington Palace is not on the "classic" must see list so I suggest you read some guide books or look at these places on the web and see if you think you'd like them, no one here can tell you if you "must" visit them but on the basis of popularity Windsor does seem to be on most people's such list.

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,912 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Windsor castle vs Buckingham Palace vs Kensington Palace

windsor castle is very easy to do on your own, and I personally think it is a "don't miss" - the rooms are beautiful, and St. George's Chapel is a very nice too, plus the town is charming and you can walk down to the Thames, cross over, and visit Eton College if you so desire.

Kensington is great for someone interested in fashion history and fashion in general, they usually have displays with fashion, clothing and I am not sure, but for a while they had Diana's dresses on display, and I have also seen dresses from the Queen on display there. Otherwise, you can pass on that.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,535 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Windsor castle vs Buckingham Palace vs Kensington Palace

None of them are 'must sees', especially if you have a low budget and are short of time.

The castles and palaces you can see from the outside if you must, but if you only have a couple of days, London has so much more to offer than, say, Kensington Palace.

Unless you have some special reason for going there, I think you could find 20 more compelling places to visit. (I'm surprised you didn't mention Hampton Court Palace).

London
Level Contributor
2,207 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Windsor castle vs Buckingham Palace vs Kensington Palace

Windsor knocks the others into a cocked hat, easily do-able in a day, regular trains from Waterloo to Windsor Riverside or, from Paddington to Windsor Central (via Slough). It's a nice town with plenty of shopping and places to eat/drink, apart from the castle.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Windsor castle vs Buckingham Palace vs Kensington Palace

Since the Buckingham Palace tour is out of the mix (since it isn't open for tours in April/May), I would pick Windsor Castle over Kensington Palace. The Kensington Palace tour is nice, but its really not in the same league as Windsor Castle.

Cali
Level Contributor
98 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Windsor castle vs Buckingham Palace vs Kensington Palace

THANKS EVERYONE! For sure, I will be seeing Windsor and I will just do that on my own. And as for Buckingham, its close so I'll just see the outside. and I will go and see Kensington and have tea in the Orangery (this might not one of the best places, but price is good! im just hoping for some AWESOME scones!)

TY TY TY anna