We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay for best public transport access to Heathrow?

Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
310 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay for best public transport access to Heathrow?

We will be flying down from Manchester to Heathrow with BA and staying overnight before our Virgin Atlantic flight from Heathrow to San Francisco on 17 September. As far as I can tell we will arrive at T5 at 8:35pm on the Thursday night and depart from T3 the following morning at 11:30am.

We were originally looking at hotels near to Heathrow with the idea of getting either a taxi, bus or the Heathrow Hoppa to & from the airport, but wondered whether it would be cheaper, and maybe just as easy, to stay at a hotel near to one of the stations on the Piccadilly line and get the tube to the airport in the morning.

As neither of us has ever flown from Heathrow before we have no clue as to whether or not this is a really stupid idea, so I'd appreciate the thoughts of anyone who has done one option or the other in the past.

Edited: 05 March 2010, 16:03
Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,499 Reviews
from US$ 123.70*
Free Cancellation
Likely To Sell Out
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
715 Reviews
from US$ 111.60*
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,191 Reviews
from US$ 126.30*
Free Cancellation
Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
310 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Where to stay for best public transport access to Heathrow?

I already checked out Yotel a couple of days ago as I thought it would be easier than going off site. They actually don't have our travel dates available to book yet (thinking maybe you can only do this 6 months in advance?) but using a couple of weeks before - same day, same check in/out times - the price would be £63 for a standard cabin or £85 for premium. As I'm pretty sure we'd kill each other (or at least get little to no sleep!) in the standard cabin's "large single bed", and for £85 we could stay at one of the other hotels and afford to get taxis to/from the airport, it's not really a competitive option.

I'd definately consider it if I was on my own though - I think their little pods look pretty cool!

Canada
Level Contributor
5,536 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Where to stay for best public transport access to Heathrow?

Heathrow is intimidating the first few times you use it - its so big and busy and everyone seems to know what they are doing and where they are going.

Except you - LOL

Good luck - and good call on the Yotel. We spent 4 hours in one of their pods between a flight from Calgary and another one to Johannesburg and it was very cramped. The chance to have a shower was the best part.

Mentioned in this post
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
YOTELAIR London Heathrow Airport
YOTELAIR London Heathrow...
1,752 Reviews
Hounslow, UK
23. Re: Where to stay for best public transport access to Heathrow?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2010, 09:47