We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fraud - London holiday Lets

Fraud - London holiday Lets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2017, 15:30
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,593 Reviews
from US$ 119.40*
Best Seller
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
737 Reviews
from US$ 107.70*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,224 Reviews
from US$ 122.00*
london
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fraud - London holiday Lets

Hi there

my family will be visiting for two weeks from the end of April. We found an ad on gumtree which seems to be offering a really good deal, by Holiday Lets London, but I am reluctant to pay them £200 deposit as I have never booked through online agencies before. Hotels, yes, but that's different. I just don't understand how I am protected as a customer if I simply transfer cash into someone's account.

Do you have any advice and is the scam mentioned in your post connected to a similar online offer? Am I just being stupid?

Thanks for your help.

M

London, United...
Level Contributor
33,354 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fraud - London holiday Lets

For advice, simply read the 4th post on the London forum by theartgirl - "Dos and donts of renting a flat!"

london
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fraud - London holiday Lets

Hi there

my family will be visiting for two weeks from the end of April. We found an ad on gumtree which seems to be offering a really good deal, by Holiday Lets London, but I am reluctant to pay them £200 deposit as I have never booked through online agencies before. Hotels, yes, but that's different. I just don't understand how I am protected as a customer if I simply transfer cash into someone's account.

Do you have any advice and is the scam mentioned in your post connected to a similar online offer? Am I just being stupid?

Thanks for your help.

M

London, United...
Level Contributor
33,354 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fraud - London holiday Lets

For advice, simply read the 4th post on the London forum by theartgirl - "Dos and donts of flat rental in London!"

Basically - you are not protected - so you need to do a LOT of homework to satisfy yourself.

Ask yourself why a business doesn't accept credit cards....

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
58,587 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fraud - London holiday Lets

herbolator, if you let us have the website and listing number we might be able to help a bit more.

Unfortunately, Gumtree and Craigslist can be sites where villains lurk to trap the unwary, but at the same time there are legitimate listings on Gumtree as well. If you have a link you may find that another TALFer has stayed at the flat or knows of it, so give us as many details as possible so that we can assess the matter more thoroughly.

london
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fraud - London holiday Lets

Hi,

thanks for your reply. I have done some homework and decided to go wih the

Holiday Lets London for now. Their website is http://www.holidayletslondon.co.uk and the advertised studios are in Iffley Rd, Hammersmith.

Thanks again,

H

7. Re: Fraud - London holiday Lets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2010, 11:57