We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying with pets into the UK

Windsor, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Flying with pets into the UK

Hi everyone,

We from Portugal and we live in the UK. We were planning to bring over our pet cat when we moved, but the process is not simple. Anyway, we've done everything that is required and we must wait until April before he can come home.

We just found out that bringing a pet into the UK from Portugal will costs us 700€. Absolutely absurd. This only happens for the UK. If I were to fly to Belgium for example, it would cost something like 30€. We're considering flying to another country, if necessary, and fly from there to London with a cheaper rate.

Has anyone had this kind of experience? Does anyone know what the cheapest route is? Are there any alternatives?

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,260 reviews
from US$ 127.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
457 reviews
from US$ 105.70*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,086 reviews
from US$ 150.00*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$ 302.10*
US$ 335.60
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,568 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying with pets into the UK

The basic requirements are virtually the same regardless of which country you travel from.

Therefore the only difference is what the airline is going to charge for transporting an animal

Note that if you do go to a third country then your cat will have to pass it's tests in that country not just Portugal

To get into the UK the animal will require a pet passport - and to get to a third EU country it needs an EU pet passport

defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/…index.htm

defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/…eu-reg.htm

But I would have thought the cheapest would be France and the cheapest way by ferry

Windsor, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying with pets into the UK

The passport/documents situation is all sorted, but thank you for pointing that out. We're just looking for the cheapest way to get in with a pet.

The ferry tip is helpful. Thank you for the reply.

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying with pets into the UK

You can't take a pet onto an Eastern Channel ferry if you're a foot passenger, as far as I'm aware: pets have to stay on the cardeck.

There's one Western Channel route (I THINK it's the one to Santander) which has separate kennels/cateries on board, though I don't know whether it takes foot passengers

What I suspect's happening about price is that you're getting quotes for a ferrying the cat in the plane's hold.

There are airlines that - disgracefully, in my view - allow cats into the cabin, and I think they include KLM. The rates for accompanied pets with you in the cabin are probably lower, since the airline doesn't have to anything (except handle those of us whose flights will be made a misery by the bloody thing's dander) . Obviously, you're going to pay more for routing yourself in such a roundabout way.

So you might look at the pet policy of airlines (like KLM, Iberia or Air France) with routes not too far off the direct path. No low-cost I'm aware of flies pets

4. Re: Flying with pets into the UK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2010, 11:46