We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London-Edinburgh First Class Train

San Ramon...
Level Contributor
40 posts
5 reviews
London-Edinburgh First Class Train

I tried looking at previous posts and didn't really find anything. I am thinking of splurging for first class train tickets from London-Edinburgh. Standard is 215 pounds for 2 people, First is 373 pounds for 2 people. Is it worth it? We will be traveling on a Saturday in April around 10am. Thank you in advance!!

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,724 Reviews
from US$ 123.10*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,265 Reviews
from US$ 125.80*
Best Seller
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
761 Reviews
from US$ 103.00*
London, United...
Level Contributor
659 posts
24 reviews
1. Re: London-Edinburgh First Class Train

Big fan of rail travel me, and this is a good line to see some decent springtime countryside.

If you're happy with the cost, go first class and avoid the busy standard compartment. Try and secure a 1+1 table so you don't end up sharing.

I'd also suggest stopping off in a Marks and Spencer food shop and building up a picnic for the journey beforehand (a bottle or two of a fine red, some cold meats, sandwiches, snacks etc...the only way to travel!).

Edited: 18 January 2010, 23:35
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
59,082 posts
12 reviews
2. Re: London-Edinburgh First Class Train

I do hope that's a return fare rather than a single (one way) fare for two. And speaking of single fares, have a look at www.eastcoast.co.uk for singles in each direction, as they may be cheaper than a return for your dates. The 0955 departure from KX on 03 April has singles in First available for just £64.10 per person so I'm not sure where you found such pricey fares (perhaps the RailEurope website?).

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: London-Edinburgh First Class Train

Are you doing this because you don't use trains in the US, so want to do something special? That may be a stupid question, but I'm always surprised at how many Americans haven't been on a long-distance train, just mass-transit transport in cities.

I travel standard class to Edinburgh and it's perfectly acceptable - there is wifi in all carriages which is nice.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
4. Re: London-Edinburgh First Class Train

The prices you mention are very high, as TP says, if you book for a specific timed train you can get it much cheaper, especially for standard class, but also first.

When I travel first on business I can get it for maybe 2/3 to 50% of the price if booked in advance, especially for a specific timed train.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
15,332 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: London-Edinburgh First Class Train

3rd April is Easter weekend so trains are likely to be busier and the cheap fares sell out quickly. If it's a later Saturday then the Advance fares have not been loaded yet but will be in the next few days. First Advance Singles start at £52, Standard Advance Singles start at £12. Those cheap tickets are quota limited, will sell out quickly, and are valid on booked train only.

£373 is a First Anytime Return valid on East Coast trains only, *per person* Only people on expense accounts pay that.

Edited: 19 January 2010, 00:13
San Ramon...
Level Contributor
40 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: London-Edinburgh First Class Train

It's a monday so I must not be thinking correctly, I am traveling on a Monday(not Saturday), April 12. And that is for 2 people 1 way. I have only traveled by train a few times when I have been in Europe so part of me wants to splurge, I am just not sure if it is worth it. I am looking on www.eastcoast.co.uk but I will check a couple other options.

Thank you!

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
7. Re: London-Edinburgh First Class Train

Target prices for advance single tickets on this route are £16.50 standard class and £52 first class. East Coast are currently booking advance tickets up to April 09; if your travel dates are later only the much more expensive standard tickets are currently displayed. Check back in a few days if your travel dates are after April 09; alternatively use the facility on the East Coast site to register for email notication when tickets for your journey / dates go on sale.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
15,332 posts
7 reviews
8. Re: London-Edinburgh First Class Train

The Advance fares are loaded to 9 April. You can sign up on eastcoast.co.uk and they will email you when the fares for the day you want are loaded.

You will not get cheaper than eastcoast.co.uk as they give a 10% online discount on their own trains.

San Ramon...
Level Contributor
40 posts
5 reviews
9. Re: London-Edinburgh First Class Train

Perfect! I was just going to say I wonder if the more expensive prices are because it is later then April 09, I noticed that on the site and have signed up to be notified. Thank you all SO MUCH!!! And I might take the suggestion of buying a few things to take on the train beforehand, wine is ok to bring on board?

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
10. Re: London-Edinburgh First Class Train

My post just 'crossed' with your update - yes, April 12 is just beyond current booking period but cheaper advance tickets for this date will likely be released at the end of this week. Personally I don't normally pay the extra for first class unless the prices for advance tickets are fairly close; 10 weeks ahead 1st class is often 3x cost of advance standard singles which I don't think is worth the extra. Many of the trains on this route have been recently refurbished and standard class is comfortable. When buying advance tickets seat reservtions are automatically included and there's now no extra cost for seat reservations on this route.