We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what do you think?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
what do you think?

As previously posted we are a family of 5 (2 adults, 2 kids, 1 baby) looking for vacation rental. What you "pros" think of this one:

ivylettings.com/ivylet/…elystan-street

Is this a good location? (near shops, sites, train station etc.) Thank you all so much for all your help!

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what do you think?

Looks OK to me, if you want to be that side of town.

It's about 10 mins walk to the Natural History Museum/Science Museum, a bit less to the V&A. Everything else is probably going to be a tube ride away. You're about 5 mins walk from South Kensington tube station, on the District and Circle lines, which will be OK for direct rides to some places, although you'll need to change to one of the lines that cross the centre to get the tube to places like Oxford Street, Mayfair, and so on.

Not sure about shops, but IIRC there are a coupel of supermarkets near South Ken station.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: what do you think?

Thank you for your response. I think with the children I need to be more centrally located. Wow! I didn't realize how tough this was gonna be.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what do you think?

South Ken is still pretty central (it's in travelcard zione 1, for example) - it's just on the SW corner of the centre.

Wherever you stay, *some* sights/shops/places will be a tube or bus ride away.

Are there particualr sights you want to be visiting?

Edited: 18 January 2010, 19:45
London
Level Contributor
2,214 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what do you think?

Quiet residential area, upmarket part of town, totally safe in that respect. You are a little way from the 'action' of the West End, but getting around should be no problem, very close to South Kensington station (also on the Piccadilly Line which terminates at LHR), and numerous buses which run up and down the Fulham Road, including the Number 14, which takes you direct to Piccadilly Circus. It's not a great area for family restaurants or pubs in my opinion, but all things considered it's a good location.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what do you think?

> South Kensington station (also on the Piccadilly Line) <

D'oh - well caught. yes, that counters my utter bollocks about having to change somewhere for tubes towards Oxford Street or Mayfair. From South Ken you can get direct to Green Park, Piccadilly Circus, Leicester Square and Holborn.

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what do you think?

Nick is right that there is no such place as "the centre" of London around which all sights and attractions are located; you cannot cross the road from the Tower of London and end up in Harrods, for example.

The area you have chosen is the South-Western part of central London; it is near to a number of locations which your kids will enjoy (Natural History Museum, Harrods) and some you will enjoy (Kings Road) but is further from the Tower of London, St.Paul's and Tower Bridge. You have chosen an up-market residential area, which should be quiet and safe for your family. I am struggling to think of a similar area that would be nearer the centre of the "centre".

Travelling around London is easy using a combination of bus, underground train and taxi. This is what everyone uses to get around and your kids will no doubt enjoy the experience. All five of you will fit in a London cab if you have any aversion to communal transport. By all means keep looking, but don't get hung up on the idea that there is one small area where everything worth seeing is located, because London isn't like that.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what do you think?

<<I think with the children I need to be more centrally located>>

It's in a good area, and you will have to catch tubes or buses to most places wherever you stay. If the apartment has everything else you needat a price that looks good , I wouldn't worry about an extra 2 or 3 stops on the tube compared to some other apartment that (a) you haven't found yet, and (b) is likely to cost more if you do find one. Ivy lettings is also a reputable agency so that worry is gone.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: what do you think?

Thank you everyone. These ideas are very helpful as I'm feeling a little "lost". From reading I think ideally we'd be spending most of our time in the west end and covent garden area.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
918 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what do you think?

I'm glad the Londoners have weighed in here.

I also didn't see this rental as a problem in terms of being "centrally located." For all the reasons the experts have already provided.

So I'll say "me too." And add my personal experience. On my several visits to London in the past 15 years, I've always stayed in an area that's a bit farther out than the one under discussion - near the Earl's Court or Gloucester Road stations. Sometimes when traveling with a friend, and also when traveling alone. I never found it too far out, the transportation connections (mainly Tube) are really good, it's easy to get to Covent Garden, the West End, the City, etc. And the area is as noted, upmarket residential with plenty of quiet streets off the main roads. You may, as I have done, appreciate coming back from a day and evening in London's hustle and bustle, to a more quiet location.

I'm not sure what grocery store options there are right by that rental, but if you hop on the Tube at S. Ken and ride one stop to the Gloucester Road station, there is, literally above the station, a shopping arcade which includes restaurants, a Boots, a coffee shop, and a lovely and large Waitrose supermarket. It is a serious step-saver in that you come out of the station and turn left to walk right into the shopping arcade, then can tote your purchases right back down to the Tube.

I'm sure there is also ample shopping closer to the S. Ken tube station, but thought I'd mention this option too.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
918 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: what do you think?

I should have said

>>you come out of the station and turn left to walk *directly* into the shopping arcade,<<