We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Football tickets?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
142 posts
75 reviews
Football tickets?

Hi everyone

I would love to see a football match while in London but not sure of the best way to secure reasonably cheap tickets. They don't need to be the best seats, it's more for the atmosphere and the experience. Any tips on how, when and where to get tickets would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,728 Reviews
from US$ 123.00*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,269 Reviews
from US$ 125.70*
Best Seller
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
764 Reviews
from US$ 103.00*
Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,704 posts
41 reviews
1. Re: Football tickets?

Best place to secure tickets is from the clubs' own web site. Avoid touts (scalpers) as this is illegal and you will possibly end up paying for forgeries.

When will you be in London? The season runs from August to May and there are a number of clubs at different levels to choose from. Premier League tickets usually start at around £25 upwards.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
142 posts
75 reviews
2. Re: Football tickets?

I'm already in London and will be here until May. Ideally I would like to see a Premier League match somewhere in London, to cut down on the cost of travelling to an away match. Is it relatively easy to secure tickets or will I be hard pressed?

London
Level Contributor
2,233 posts
54 reviews
3. Re: Football tickets?

This question gets asked quite a lot, the general consensus is that Fulham is probably your best bet for getting PL tickets. Arsenal and Chelsea are practically impossible at this stage of the season, Tottenham very difficult, West Ham possible.

In all cases, though, the only source is from the clubs own websites - do not try and buy through agencies or, even worse, touts outside the ground. You will pay well over the odds - if in fact you do manage to get a legitimate ticket. There have been too many horror stories on here of people getting totally ripped off.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,704 posts
41 reviews
4. Re: Football tickets?

If you are already here that makes life easier! Take a look at this list of fixtures and pick one you fancy. As EalingBlue points out, Fulham is your best option on a lot of counts like cost, atmosphere and availability of tickets. You could try a West Ham game against a bottom half team like Burnley or Hull as well.

Premier League London teams are:

Arsenal

Chelsea

Fulham

Tottenham

West Ham

Championship League can also offer some good games at

Charlton

QPR

Crystal Palace

Watford (bit further out)

Then you've got League One and two for

Brentford

Leyton Orient

Barnet

Millwall

Dagenham & Redbridge

(May have missed a couple out, going from memory!)

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: Football tickets?

Regrettably, Charlton are now in League One, not the championship, although promotion is looking likely this season. Even I, a Charlton supporter, confess that the football has not been entertaining this season, and nor has the atmosphere been great. the Den (Millwall) is the best bet for a great atmosphere in League One, although it's hard to love the Millwal faithful.

Paignton, United...
Level Contributor
307 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Football tickets?

Can I suggest a visit to London's best football team... Leyton Orient.

Tube to Leyton, out the station, turn right and walk down Leyton High Road. You will see the famous stadium by Coronation Gardens on the left.

Pay at the turnstiles, better atmopshere than Spurs and West Ham :-P

Like others have said Fulham is a good day out, when ive been ive payed at the turnstiles.

Watford, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
44,230 posts
50 reviews
7. Re: Football tickets?

Orientfan,

The esteemed Jack1066 and myself were going to do that on Saturday but alas the elements conspired against us and I was left with Jeff Stelling and another miserable away defeat for The Hornets.

London, United...
Level Contributor
64 posts
11 reviews
8. Re: Football tickets?

If you can get tickets to an early FA Cup match, they can be a little cheaper than regular game prices.

As an example, we're Everton fans (OK, not a London team) and it only cost us £23 for each ticket to this weekend's FA Cup match, while the match against Manchester United is £33 a ticket and will probably be very difficult to get hold of if you're not a member.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
142 posts
75 reviews
9. Re: Football tickets?

Excellent, thanks for the tips. Will definitely look into the FA Cup match option now too.

10. Re: Football tickets?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2010, 11:45