We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus tour or Drive myself

Perth
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Bus tour or Drive myself

Going to do a tour of england / wales / scotland... just can't decide just yet on wich mode of tour.

I'm thinking a car as i don't want to wait around for other people or be at this time / place when they say so.... but i know i will miss there knowlege on some of the places that we would visit.

Should i grab some patience or drive ??

Arrive May 22.. 14 days or so to mosy around

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,783 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus tour or Drive myself

It will be difficult to see all of England , Scotland & Wales in two weeks, It depends on whether you want to drive past lots of things and tick them off, or see those things that really interest you. I doubt you would have any problems with driving, if you avoid Central London, and obviously you speak English. I would go for the driving.

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,783 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus tour or Drive myself

...as for missing their knowledge, you can buy guide books and read up on places in advance.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,420 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus tour or Drive myself

Trains or coaches if you don't want to drive long distances? Most of the big attractions have guides anyway - and tour guides usually aren't allowed to guide inside properties.

Perth
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus tour or Drive myself

Was going to follow the bus itinery of a bus tour that is available online... wich they do in 2 weeks.... so i thought if i was not held up by other people then i could see more.. or even stay at places longer that i like

Perth
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus tour or Drive myself

I should also add.... this is not to see london area itself.. got a week up my sleave for that

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,954 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus tour or Drive myself

That sounds like a plan. The downside being, coach tours drive long distances (to us Brits, anyhow), which as a passenger you get to relax on. Having to drive yourself is more tiring - that's not to say I don't recommend driving yourself, but going at a more relaxed pace.

Which itinerary were you looking at?

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
918 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus tour or Drive myself

I lean toward the "doing it myself" mode, but I have learned that a good guided tour can make all the difference to my understanding and appreciating what I'm looking at. Even if I've read up in advance and am carrying a guidebook.

A good combo might be driving yourself from place to place but joining guided tours or town walks or things like that whenever possible.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,068 posts
1,080 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus tour or Drive myself

Basic difference here. Do you like being in a group, having everything done for you, having a strict time schedule, being taken to the same old sights everybody visits? (Which may be wonderful sights, not knocking them.)

Or . . . do you have a spirit of adventure, prefer to get off the beaten path, stay in out of the way places and to discover things on your own?

You decide ;-)

As mentioned above, most of the major attractions, and many of the minor ones, have guides or at least pamphlets to read so you know what you are looking at!

Drawback to doing it yourself is that if you are the only driver, you'll need rest breaks and good map skills.

Perth
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bus tour or Drive myself

This is the tour i would mostly follow if i decide to go it by car.. with changes on how i feel on the day and what i read up on between now and when i get there.

www.affordabletours.com/search/tours/24722/

In australia.. travelling 600k's in a day is not an issue for us.. "it's just up the road" is what we say......although with englands roads i would assume you don't get very far because of the roads / traffic.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,954 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bus tour or Drive myself

Wow.